Cofran's Texas . . .
Hill Country Portal
A Powerful Information Database & Gateway Service for the Texas Hill Country
County Profile For:
REAL COUNTY, Texas
"no slogan"County Seat: LeakeyEst: 1913
County Borders: N & W: Edwards; NE: Kerr; E: Bandera; S: Uvalde
Population (2015): 3,792Businesses (2014): 131COL Index (2008): 80.5
Zip Codes: 78873, 78879, 78883Area Codes: 830Time Zone: CST
Center Line Coordinates: 29 50' N; 99 50' W
Major Highways: US 83, TX 41, 55, RM 336, 337, 1120
Rivers: Frio, NuecesLakes: None
Area: 627 smElevation: 1,500 to 2,400 ft
CITIES & TOWNS IN THIS COUNTY: Edwards County.
All of Real County is within the Texas Hill Country. For our definition of the boundaries of the Texas Hill Country, see: Definition & Maps.
- County Judge: 830-232-5304
- County Judge Garry A. Merritt
- County Courthouse: 146 US 83 S, POB 446, Leakey, TX 78873
- Web: www.co.real.tx.us
- Middle Rio Grande Development Council (of Governments):
Executive Director: Leodoro Martinez, Jr
Ofc: 830-876-3533; Fax: 830-876-9415
POB 1199, Carrizo Springs, TX 78834-1199
- Frio Canyon Chamber Of Commerce
Web: www.friocanyonchamber.com; Email: email@example.com
- Fun Center: www.funrivers.com
- Texas Hill Country River Region: www.thcrr.com; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visitors Guide: www.leakey-tx.com
EVENT CALENDAR: For full details on these and nearby events see Festivals & Major Events, Trade Days & Farmers Markets, Live Entertainment, and calendars on our other focus topic pages accessible from the menu above.
WEATHER: Local Weather (from nearby Utopia, outside the county); Hill Country-wide Weather
MEDIA COVERAGE: See full details in Directory below. MAPS: HISTORY:
- Handbook Of Texas Online: TSHA
- Real County Historical Museum: 830-232-5330; PO Box 69, Leakey, TX 78873. Email: email@example.com; 830-232-6212, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Located 1/2 block N of the Real County Courthouse on Evergreen Street in downtown Leakey. Created in 1986 " . . to help preserve the history and heritage of Real County and to bring to life for you the way our pioneer families lived in these beautiful hills". Open Fri-Sat 10a-4p. http://realcountyhistoricalmuseum.com
OTHER PROFILES: TXGenWeb; US Census Quick Facts; TXCIP; Wikipedia; ePodunk; City Data
We welcome inquiries, comments and submission of updates, additions, corrections & digital photos,
without compensation. Send to Editor at:
BUSINESS & ORGANIZATION DIRECTORY
See web sites shown above. Partial list below:
COUNTY COURTHOUSE: 830-232-5304; 146 US 83 S, POB 446, Leakey, TX 78873. www.co.real.tx.us. County Judge Garry A. Merritt
DISTRICT ATTORNEY: 830-278-2916
DISTRICT COURT JUDGE: 830-278-3913
FRIO CANYON PARKS BUILDING: Leakey, TX 78873
REAL COUNTY, ATTORNEY: 830-232-6461
REAL COUNTY, CONSTABLE, PRECINCTS 1 & 2: 830-232-5599
REAL COUNTY, COUNTY & DISTRICT CLERK:
REAL COUNTY, JUSTICE OF THE PEACE, PRECINCTS 1 & 2: 830-232-6630, email@example.com
REAL COUNTY, JUSTICE OF THE PEACE, PRECINCTS 3 & 4: 830-597-6129
REAL COUNTY, SHERIFF: 830-232-5201
REAL COUNTY, TAX ASSESSOR-COLLECTOR: 830-232-6210; Property tax information: www.trueautomation.com, select Real CAD
REAL COUNTY, TREASURER: 830-232-6627; firstname.lastname@example.org
REAL COUNTY, PUBLIC LIBRARY: 830-232-5199; POB 488, Main at Evergreen, Leakey, TX 78873. www.leakeylibrary.org
REAL EDWARDS CONSERVATION & RECLAMATION DISTRICT: 830-597-3322; 106 E 4th St, Camp Wood, TX 78833. www.recrd.org
LOCATED WITHIN THIS COUNTY: See detailed listings in each city/town in this county. Use the list with city links for this county at the top of this profile page. Or, use the Menu at the top of every page for city links. is the predominate city in this county and is where most such services are located.
US POST OFFICE: www.usps.com
- 830-597-3262; 309 N Nueces, Camp Wood, TX 78833-9998. TX 55 & 1st St
- 830-232-5239; 110 RR 337 W, Leakey, TX 78873-9998
- 830-232-5262; 5615 RR 1120, Rio Frio, TX 78879-9998
LOCATED OUTSIDE THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY: See State & Federal Offices
(Police, Fire, EMS/Medical)
CRIME STOPPERS-REPORT ANONYMOUSLY: 1-800-222-8477; or click: Stoppers
DISASTER & EMERGENCY SERVICES: Beyond dialing 911 for emergency services (police, fire, rescue), when a major destructive event occurs (wind damage, flooding, explosion, wildland fire, mass casualty incidents, terrorism, etc.), response services are organized based on the disaster coverage area and severity:
- EMERGENCY SHELTERS & LOCAL RELIEF SERVICES MOSTLY WITHIN A CITY: Depending on local needs and incident circumstances, check with local service and information organizations and locations that can be found on the Portal city page for each town/city, per the above Portal menu at the top of each page. On these city pages you can determine their open/close status and scope of services (shelter, showers, food, clothing, financial, essential supplies, other) presently offered, and donations (food, clothing, cash, other) they will accept. Their scope can change quickly based on the extent of damage and needs. The city pages also include emergency contacts for major utilities that are often affected during such incidents, including power, water, communications, etc.
- MULTIPLE CITY OR COUNTY-WIDE INCIDENTS: See County Judge's office for Emergency Management, and Sheriff's Dept above.
- MULTIPLE COUNTY INCIDENTS: See our Portal Focus Topic Page on Emergency Services for comprehensive information on area-wide emergency resources and contacts (Red Cross, TCEQ, Alert Systems, etc.).
CRISIS HOTLINES: click Hotlines-Emergencies
WITH OFFICES LOCATED WITHIN THIS COUNTY:
See detailed listings in each city/town in this county. Use the list with city links for this county at the top of this profile page. Or, use the Menu at the top of every page for city links. is the predominate city in this county and is where most such services are located.
Note: See chamber, tourism & economic development listings in profile section above.
WITH OFFICES LOCATED OUTSIDE THIS COUNTY:
ANY BABY CAN OF SAN ANTONIO: 210-227-0170; 217 Howard, San Antonio, TX 78212. www.anybabycansa.org. A non-profit agency that provides direction and guidance for families of children and youth with special needs. All services are provided at no cost, regardless of income, to families who have a child (through age 17) with a chronic illness, disability, developmental delay or health risk. The child must reside in Bexar, Atascosa, Bandera, Blanco, Caldwell, Comal, Edwards, Frio, Gillespie, Gonzales, Guadalupe, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Medina, Real, Uvalde or Wilson County. Local office:
Kerrville: 830-792-4222; 819 Water St, Ste 109, Kerrville, TX 78028. Brenda Heimann, email@example.com
New Braunfels: 800-524-3755; 1040 N Walnut, Ste C2 at Seele Plaza, New Braunfels, TX 78130
TEXAS MASTER NATURALISTS: www.txmn.org. A non-profit organization under the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Program in concert with Texas Parks & Wildlife. Mission is to develop a corps of well-informed volunteers to provide education, outreach, and service dedicated to the beneficial management of natural resources and natural areas within their communities.
Local: Hill Country Chapter, 830-896-2504; 309 Sidney Baker S, Kerrville, TX 78028. Meets 4th Mon 7p at UGRA building. Michelle Haggerty, State Coordinator. Counties served: Counties served: Bandera, Edwards, Gillespie, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Mason, Menard, Real, San Saba. www.txmn.org/hillcountry
TEXAS RIO GRANDE LEGAL AID (TRLA): 1-888-988-9996; 4920 IH-35 N, Frontage Rd, Austin, TX 78751. www.trla.org. A non-profit organization that provides free legal services to eligible low-income residents in 68 counties of SW Texas, including the Hill Country, and also represents migrant and seasonal farm workers. No local permanent offices (except nearby Austin and San Antonio), however visits are made to some cities. Start eligibility application process on web or call for appointment. Counties served: Bandera, Blanco, Burnet, Comal, Edwards, Gillespie, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Llano, Mason, Medina, Real, Travis, Uvalde, Williamson
Note: For Hill Country-wide non-profits, public service and social service organizations, see Hill Country Information
HILL COUNTRY-WIDE UTILITY PROVIDERS:
For Hill Country area utility service providers (electric, gas, water, sewer, trash),
telecom providers (land lines, cellular service, TV, internet), and related services (package delivery, newspaper, etc.), click: Utilities & Telecom
SANDY ROAD GUEST HAUS:
Upscale Western-style Guest House Lodging
in a Beautiful Ranch Setting in the Gorgeous Texas Hill Country
Reservations & Information: 281-300-7177
9242 RR 1320 (Sandy Road), Johnson City, TX 78636
Web: www.SandyRoadGuestHaus.com Email: info@SandyRoadGuestHaus.com
Come Relax & Enjoy!