Cofran's Texas . . .
Hill Country Portal
A Powerful Information Database & Gateway Service for the Texas Hill Country
County Profile For:
UVLADE COUNTY, Texas
"County of 1,000 Springs"County Seat: UvaldeCreated 1850; Organized: 1856
County Borders: N: Real; NE: Bandera; E: Medina; S: Zavala;
SE: Maverick; W: Kenney; NE: Edwards
Population (2015): 27,245Businesses (2014): 625COL Index (2008): 76.3
Zip Codes: 78801, 78802Area Codes: 830Time Zone: CST
Center Line Coordinates: 29° 22' N; 99° 45' W
Major Highways: US 83, 90, TX 55, 127
Rivers: Nueces, Leona, Sabinal, Dry Frio, FrioLakes:
Area: 1,552 smElevation: 700 to 2000 ft
CITIES & TOWNS IN THIS COUNTY:
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Uvalde, Sabinal, Cline, Montell, Concan, Reagan Wells
- Unincorporated: Knippa, Utopia, Uvalde Estates
- County Judge: William R. Mitchell: 830-278-3216
Courthouse Plaza, Box 3, Uvalde, TX 78801
- Middle Rio Grande Development Council:
- Executive Director: Leodoro Martinez, Jr.
Ofc: 830-876-3533; Fax: 830-876-9415
POB 1199, Carrizo Springs, TX 78834-1199
- Uvalde Chamber Of Commerce: 830-278-3361
300 E Main, Uvalde, TX 78801
Web: www.uvalde.org; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Uvalde Convention & Visitors Bureau: 830-278-4115
300 E Main St, Uvalde, TX 78801
- Uvalde Area Development Foundation: www.uvaldeadf.com
WEATHER: Local Weather (Uvalde); Hill Country-wide Weather
MEDIA COVERAGE: See full details in Directory below.
- On-Line News: Google News; Topix
- Newspapers: Uvalde Leader-News: 830-278-3335, www.uvaldeleadernews.com
- Radio/TV, Articles & Videos:
- Handbook Of Texas Online: TSHA
- County TXGenWeb Project: Genealogical/historical information, including cemeteries, markers, maps, census data, surname queries: TXGenWeb
- Uvalde County Historical Commission: See full details in Directory below.
- More History: See Portal city profiles in list shown above, including Uvalde.
OTHER PROFILES: City Data; ePodunk; US Census Quick Facts; Texas Escapes (not available); Travel Texas (not available); TXCIP; Wikipedia
We welcome inquiries, comments and submission of updates, additions, corrections & digital photos,
without compensation. Send to Editor at:
BUSINESS & ORGANIZATION DIRECTORY
UVALDE COUNTY: County Judge William R. Mitchell: 830-278-3216; Courthouse Plaza, Box 3, Uvalde, TX 78801. www.uvaldecounty.com
UVALDE COUNTY, APPRAISAL DISTRICT: 830-278-1106; 209 N High St, Uvalde, TX 78801-5207. www.uvaldecad.org
UVALDE COUNTY, EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT: www.uvaldeoem.org
UVALDE COUNTY, GAME WARDEN:
UVALDE COUNTY, HISTORICAL COMMISSION: POB 5383, Uvalde, TX 78801. email@example.com
UVALDE COUNTY, SHERIFF: 830-278-4101; 121 E Nopal St, Uvalde, TX 78801. Sheriff Charles Mendeke; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
UVALDE COUNTY, TAX ASSESSOR/COLLECTOR: 830-278-3225; Courthouse Plaza, Box 8, Uvalde, TX 78801
JUSTICE OF THE PEACE - BILL SCHAEFER: 830-966-3445; Utopia, TX 78884
WES COOKSEY RV PARK: 830-597-3223; Hwy 55, Camp Wood, TX 78839. A Uvalde County park on Lake Nueces and Nueces River, 3 mi S of Camp Wood. 30 RV hookups all with water and electricity, some with sewer. Scuba, volley ball, boat ramp, basketball, showers, swimming, horseshoes, tent camping and day use
LOCATED WITHIN THIS COUNTY: See detailed listings in each city/town in this county. Use the list with city links for this county at the top of this profile page. Or, use the Menu at the top of every page for city links. is the predominate city in this county and is where most such services are located.
UVALDE COUNTY BORDER PATROL: 830-278-7133
US POST OFFICES: 800-275-8777; www.usps.com
- 830-232-6044; 20948 TX 127, Concan, TX 78838-9998
- 830-966-3667; 700 N Main, FM 187, Utopia, TX 78884
LOCATED OUTSIDE THIS COUNTY BUT WITHIN THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY: See detailed listings in the corresponding cities/towns throughout the Hill County. Use the Menu at the top of every page for city links.
LOCATED OUTSIDE THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY: See State & Federal Offices
(Police, Fire, EMS/Medical)
CRIME STOPPERS-REPORT ANONYMOUSLY: 1-800-222-8477; or click: Stoppers
DISASTER & EMERGENCY SERVICES: Beyond dialing 911 for emergency services (police, fire, rescue), when a major destructive event occurs (wind damage, flooding, explosion, wildland fire, mass casualty incidents, terrorism, etc.), response services are organized based on the disaster coverage area and severity:
- EMERGENCY SHELTERS & LOCAL RELIEF SERVICES MOSTLY WITHIN A CITY: Depending on local needs and incident circumstances, check with local service and information organizations and locations that can be found on the Portal city page for each town/city, per the above Portal menu at the top of each page. On these city pages you can determine their open/close status and scope of services (shelter, showers, food, clothing, financial, essential supplies, other) presently offered, and donations (food, clothing, cash, other) they will accept. Their scope can change quickly based on the extent of damage and needs. The city pages also include emergency contacts for major utilities that are often affected during such incidents, including power, water, communications, etc.
- MULTIPLE CITY OR COUNTY-WIDE INCIDENTS: See County Judge's office for Emergency Management, and Sheriff's Dept above.
- MULTIPLE COUNTY INCIDENTS: See our Portal Focus Topic Page on Emergency Services for comprehensive information on area-wide emergency resources and contacts (Red Cross, TCEQ, Alert Systems, etc.).
CRISIS HOTLINES: click Hotlines-Emergencies
WITH OFFICES LOCATED WITHIN THIS COUNTY:
See detailed listings in each city/town in this county. Use the list with city links for this county at the top of this profile page. Or, use the Menu at the top of every page for city links. is the predominate city in this county and is where most such services are located.
WITH OFFICES LOCATED OUTSIDE THIS COUNTY:
ANY BABY CAN OF SAN ANTONIO: 210-227-0170; 217 Howard, San Antonio, TX 78212. www.anybabycansa.org. A non-profit agency that provides direction and guidance for families of children and youth with special needs. All services are provided at no cost, regardless of income, to families who have a child (through age 17) with a chronic illness, disability, developmental delay or health risk. The child must reside in Bexar, Atascosa, Bandera, Blanco, Caldwell, Comal, Edwards, Frio, Gillespie, Gonzales, Guadalupe, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Medina, Real, Uvalde, Wilson County. Local officeS:
Kerrville: 830-792-4222; 819 Water St, Ste 109, Kerrville, TX 78028. Brenda Heimann, email@example.com
New Braunfels: 800-524-3755; 1040 N Walnut, Ste C2 at Seele Plaza, New Braunfels, TX 78130
TEXAS RIO GRANDE LEGAL AID (TRLA): 1-888-988-9996; 4920 IH-35 N, Frontage Rd, Austin, TX 78751. www.trla.org. A non-profit organization that provides free legal services to eligible low-income residents in 68 counties of SW Texas, including the Hill Country, and also represents migrant and seasonal farm workers. No local permanent offices (except nearby Austin and San Antonio), however visits are made to some cities. Start eligibility application process on web or call for appointment. Counties served: Bandera, Blanco, Burnet, Comal, Edwards, Gillespie, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Llano, Mason, Medina, Real, Travis, Uvalde, Williamson
Note: See chamber, tourism & economic development listings in profile section above.
Note: For Hill Country-wide non-profits, public service and social service organizations, see Hill Country Information
HILL COUNTRY-WIDE UTILITY PROVIDERS:
For Hill Country area utility service providers (electric, gas, water, sewer, trash),
telecom providers (land lines, cellular service, TV, internet), and related services (package delivery, newspaper, etc.), click: Utilities & Telecom
SANDY ROAD GUEST HAUS:
Upscale Western-style Guest House Lodging
in a Beautiful Ranch Setting in the Gorgeous Texas Hill Country
Reservations & Information: 281-300-7177
9242 RR 1320 (Sandy Road), Johnson City, TX 78636
Web: www.SandyRoadGuestHaus.com Email: info@SandyRoadGuestHaus.com
Come Relax & Enjoy!