Cofran's Texas . . .
Hill Country Portal
A Powerful Information Database & Gateway Service for the Texas Hill Country
Focus Topic Profile For:
WEATHER, CLIMATE, SUN, MOON, TIME, SOLAR & TERRESTRIAL DATA
FOR THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY
This handy resource will allow you to quickly find the on-line weather resources best suited to your needs. The scope include severe weather and the more routine day-to-day weather reporting, as well as climate, sun, moon, time and terrestrial information.
When weather sources and government officials issue warnings regarding significant weather events, please heed these warnings for your own safety. Be especially careful about the dangers of rising water.
Also see our related Hill Country Portal focus page on Emergencies, and the related sections regarding severe weather.
Many of these weather services also have email-based alert/notification apps. Be sure to also see our list of Hill Country specific regional Alert/Notification systems and consider signing up for these free alerts.
We welcome inquiries, comments and submission of updates, additions, corrections & digital photos,
without compensation. Send to Editor at:
NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER (NHC): www.nhc.noaa.gov
- Atlantic/Gulf Tropical Cyclone Activity: Current
- Atlantic/Gulf Tropical Cyclone Activity: 2 Day Outlook
- Atlantic/Gulf Tropical Cyclone Activity: 5 Day Outlook
- US Gulf Coast & Inland: Watches/Warnings and 5-Day Forecast Cone for Storm Center
- Hurricane Resources: Details
KNOW THE DIFFERENCE: >>>>
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH: VS.
• Severe storms are possible.
• Be prepared.
• Conditions are likely for
severe thunderstorms capable of
producing large hail or damaging winds.
• Stay tuned to local radio/TV for info.
TORNADO WATCH: VS.
• A tornado is possible.
• Know where you will shelter.
• Stay tuned to local radio/TV for info.
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING:
• Severe storms HAVE developed.
• Large hail or damaging wind is occurring
or will happen shortly.
• Seek shelter.
• A tornado is happening or imminent.
• Take shelter immediately.
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE (NWS): www.weather.gov. NWS is part of NOAA and receives funding from the US Dept of Commerce. NWS has 100 offices throughout the US, and they are operational 24x7. These offices issue weather advisories and warnings as they become available.
- Local NOAA Weather Forecast Office for Austin/San Antonio greater area: Forecast Desk: 830-606-3617; 2090 Airport Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130
www.weather.gov/ewx. Tracks weather for 33 counties.
- Storm Prediction Center: www.spc.noaa.gov
- Radar Image (Past 1 hr loop): Austin/San Antonio
- Satellite Image: Eastern/Central US, US
- Observed Precipitation: Map
- Forecast: Weather Pattern Graphic
- Forecast: Temperature
- Forecast: Sky Cover
- Flooding Resources: Details
- NOAA "All Hazards" Weather Radio Service (NWR): Details. Note, this NOAA FM broadcast service is not in the frequency range of the typical home FM receiver, and is usually tunable only on marine, commercial and special "emergency radios". Transmissions are on following frequencies: 162.400, 162.425, 162.450, 162.475, 162.500, 162.525, 162.550 MHz. In the Texas Hill Country, transmitters are located in Austin, Junction, Kerrville, Llano, Richland Springs, San Antonio, and Uvalde, as well as nearby in D'Hanis, Gonzales, and Seguin.
TEXAS FOREST SERVICE: 979-458-6600; http://tfsweb.tamu.edu. Facebook-Severe Weather Updates. View weekly fire potential report:http://texasstormchasers.com. On-line storm information, just for Texas: MAP 1, Map 2, Lightning Resources
DROUGHT CONDITIONS: US Map; Southern US; Texas
POLLEN COUNT FORECAST: www.pollen.com/forecast.asp. Enter zip code to narrow results to your specific geographic area of interest. Options for extended forecasts, and alert system.
SEISMIC MONITOR: http://ds.iris.edu/seismon. Interactive display of earthquakes; zoom from worldwide to local, for today, yesterday and through past 5 years.
OTHER NATIONAL WEATHER REPORTING WEB SITES: Since weather presentation can be very different from one service to the next, take your pick from these major weather reporters: www.accuweather.com; www.intellicast.com; www.weather.weatherbug.com; www.my-cast.com; www.weather.com; www.forecast.io; www.weatherplaza.com; weather.unisys.com
Note, most of these services obtain their core weather data from NOAA/NWS, and often augment that with local radar and weather spotter sources.
TV-BASED WEATHER REPORTING VIA WEBSITE:
- SAN ANTONIO:
- SPACE CITY: Weather
CENTRAL TEXAS HUB: www.centraltexashub.org. The Central Texas Hub integrates water information from the USGS, LCRA and the City of Austin into a central database, and then mapped as stream flow (flow rate in cubic feet per second, CFS), precipitation and water level information. Charts provide for viewing the data over a week, a month or a year. Comparison with historical statistics for those locations is provided.
USGS TEXAS WATER DASHBOARD: https://txpub.usgs.gov/txwaterdashboard. Texas Water Science Center. Reporting on rain, flooding. Maps. Graphic Water Information System (GWIS). Lower Colorado Drought Visualization Story map.
ATX FLOODING, LOW WATER CROSSING CLOSURE & ROAD CLOSURES: www.ATXFloods.com. Covers: Caldwell County, Cedar Park, Hays County, Leander, Marble Falls, Rollingwood, Round Rock, Sunset Valley, Travis County, Williamson County (and Caldwell & Bastrop counties). Alert system available.
LOWER COLORADO RIVER AUTHORITY (LCRA):
- FLOOD STATUS REPORTING: Details
- HILL COUNTRY LAKE & RIVER LEVELS, FORECASTS & LINKS: Details
- HILL COUNTRY HYDROLOGIC DATA (stream flow, rainfall): Details
TEXAS ROAD CONDITIONS: 800-452-9292; Before heading out on the road today, be sure to check on-line for the latest road conditions. Searchable by roadway, county and condition (accident, damage, flooding, closed, construction, other), and by location on map. Web service provided by TXDOT, but input largely supplied by the public.
- Current Burn Bans By County: Click Map
- NOAA Forecast: Fire Conditions in Austin, San Antonio
- Texas Forest Service (TFS) Predictive Services: Fire Conditions in Texas
- Also see drought and wind conditions above.
FOR LARGER TOWNS IN HILL COUNTRY
WEATHER UNDERGROUND: www.wunderground.com. Weather reporting and forecasts customizable to your nearest neighborhood participating data reporting station. Plus a full and excellent suite of weather information services.
TIME AND DATE: Extensive world time zone displays, location date & time, calendars, clocks, calculators, apps and more, at: Time & Date
US NAVAL OBSERVATORY DATA:
- US TIME ZONES: Map
- WORLD TIME ZONES: Map
- UNIVERSAL TIME & GMT: Definition
- DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME: Definition & Dates
US NAVAL OBSERVATORY - SUN & MOON RISE & SET TIMES: Tables
- Complete Sun and Moon Data for One Day: Chart
- Sun or Moon Rise/Set Table for One Year: Chart
- Phases Of The Moon: Chart
- What The Moon Looks Like Now: Chart, Graphic 2
- Day and Night Across the Earth: Chart
AIR POLLUTION WORLD-WIDE VIDEO: View. Stunning NASA video of GEOS5 aerosols (in color, on YouTube), indicating that "air pollution from Asia strengthens extratropical cyclones, a type of storm system that drives much of our country's weather". Video shows pollution streams over a multi-year period indicated by the dates displayed.
AIR QUALITY: Web. High ozone and particle pollution, by county within Texas. Presented by American Lung Assn.
NATIONAL RADIATION: Map depicting environmental radiation levels across the USA, updated in real time every minute.
THE SKY ABOVE YOU, INTERACTIVE PLANETARIUM: Shows the entire sky as viewed from a given location at a specified time and date, defaulted here to Austin, TX, but customizable. View
REAL-TIME SOLAR DATA:
SPACE WEATHER: Space; Daily News; Observers
CURRENT AURORAL FORECAST BY NOAA: Graphic. The OVATION model is a 30-40 minute aurora forecast using data provided by the ACE spacecraft. Using the latest real-time solar wind and interplanetary magnetic field (IMF) data, a forecast for a visual aurora displays intensity and location is automatically created. If you are located within the red view line area, then it may be possible to witness visual aurora when looking to the northern sky if viewing conditions are good.
NOAA SPACE WEATHER SEVERITY SCALES: Storm Scales. Summary rating system, from 1 (minor) to 5 (extreme), regarding solar storm impact on navigation systems and radio communications. Three scales: G=Geomagnetic Storms; S=Solar Radiation Storms; R=Radio Blackouts
TD: Tropical Depression; TS: Tropical Storm
SKYWARN: http://skywarn.org. A volunteer program with nearly 290,000 trained severe weather spotters. These volunteers help keep their local communities safe by providing timely and accurate reports of severe weather to the National Weather Service. Local training opportunities are presented at www.srh.noaa.gov
SEVERE WEATHER REPORTING TO NOAA: Anyone can submit their storm observations at www.srh.noaa.gov/StormReport/SubmitReport.php?site=EWX
SEVERE WEATHER REPORTING TO LOCAL 911: Anyone can submit their storm observations by calling 911.
SEVERE WEATHER REPORTING TO TV MEDIA: Anyone can submit their storm observations by phone, text and email to local radio and TV stations listed above. No guarantee as to how your report will be processed. You might get your name in the news as a credit for the submission. Typical are pictures of clouds, lightning, hail, flooding, wind damage, etc. Check their website above for reporting address.
RAINFALL REPORTING TO COMMUNITY COLLABORATIVE RAIN, HAIL AND SNOW NETWORK: Anyone can submit their rainfall data to CoCoRAHS, which tracks this for flooding and drought analysis. www.cocorahs.org
Stay tuned for more.
Please offer any items you think would be helpful.
(send to webmaster at email address at info@HillCountryPortal.com)
SANDY ROAD GUEST HAUS:
Upscale Western-style Guest House Lodging
in a Beautiful Ranch Setting in the Gorgeous Texas Hill Country
Reservations & Information: 281-300-7177
9242 RR 1320 (Sandy Road), Johnson City, TX 78636
Web: www.SandyRoadGuestHaus.com Email: info@SandyRoadGuestHaus.com
Come Relax & Enjoy!