Cofran's Texas . . .
Hill Country Portal
A Powerful Information Database & Gateway Service for the Texas Hill Country
County Profile For:
BURNET COUNTY, Texas
"Relax, you're finally here"County Seat: BurnetEst: 1852
County Borders: N: Lampasas; NE: Bell; E: Williamson; SE: Travis;
S: Blanco; W: Llano; NW: San Saba
Population (2016): 46,243Businesses (2015): 1,178COL Index (2008): 83.43
Tax Rate (2013): ISD: 1.26250
Zip Codes: 78605, 78608, 78611, 78654Area Codes: 512, 830, 737Time Zone: CST
Center Line Coordinates: 30° 47' N; 98° 11' W
Major Highways: US-281, US-183; TX-29; RR-1431
Rivers: Colorado, Lampasas, San Gabriel
Lakes: Buchanan, LBJ, Marble Falls, Travis (see Lakes)
Area: 994.3 smElevation: 700 to 1,700 ft
CITIES & TOWNS IN THIS COUNTY: Bertram, Briggs, Burnet, Cottonwood Shores, Gandy, Fairland, Granite Shoals, Highland Haven, Lake Victor, Mahomet, Marble Falls, Meadowlakes, Naruna, Oatmeal, Scobee, Sherwood Shores, Smithwick, Spicewood, Sudduth, Watson
Not all of Burnet County is within the Texas Hill Country. The northeastern-most 10% of the county area is not in the Hill Country. The approximate dividing line is US-183. For our definition of the boundaries of the Texas Hill Country, see: Definition & Maps
- County Judge: Donna Klaeger: 512-715-5276
220 S Pierce St, Burnet, TX 78611
- Burnet County Courthouse: Located in Burnet on the Courthouse Square, at 220 S Pierce St. Designed by Willis Environmental Engineering in Marble Falls, in Modern architectural style. Built in 1937 with locally quarried granite, and expanded in 1974 with design by the same firm. There have been 3 courthouses in Burnet, one in 1854 that burned; another in 1874; and the current building. An annex facility is located nearby in the historic county jail building that housed inmates up to the 1970s. See more history about the courthouse and area at the Portal profile for Burnet
- Capital Area Council Of Governments (CAPCOG)
Ofc: 512-916-6000, Fax: 512-916-6001
6800 Burleson Rd, Bldg 310, Ste 165, Austin, TX 78744
- Burnet County Tourism
Tourism Director & Public Information Officer
Teri Freitag: 512-715-5278
220 S Pierce, Ste 202, Burnet, TX 78611
- Part of Highland Lakes area see Highland Lakes
- Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) parks in the region: see Parks
- Burnet County Park: Excellent fishing camp on E side of Lake Buchanan. Access via TX-29 W, then RM 2341 N
WEATHER: Local Weather; Hill Country-wide Weather
MEDIA COVERAGE: See full details in Directory below and Media
- On-Line News: Google News; Topix
Burnet Bulletin (weekly newspaper), www.burnetbulletin.com;
The Highlander (Marble Falls), www.highlandernews.com;
The Picayunne (Marble Falls), www.thepicayunetv.com
- Handbook Of Texas Online: TSHA
- County Txgenweb Project: Genealogical/historical information, including cemeteries, markers, maps, census data, surname queries, TXGenWeb
- Burnet County Historical Commission: See full details in Directory below.
- More history: at Portal city profiles in list shown above, including Burnet
Burnet County Cemetery Photos, Facts & Directions
OTHER PROFILES: City Data; Podunk; TXCIP; US Census Quick Facts; Wikipedia
We welcome inquiries, comments and submission of updates, additions, corrections & digital photos,
without compensation. Send to Editor at:
BUSINESS & ORGANIZATION DIRECTORY
COUNTY JUDGE: Donna Klaeger: 512-715-5276; 220 S Pierce St, Burnet, TX 78611. www.burnetcountytexas.org; Facebook; firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: County offices shown below without an address reside at the Courthouse address above.
BURNET COUNTY COURTHOUSE ANNEX (NORTH): 1701 E Polk, Burnet, TX 78611
BURNET COUNTY COURTHOUSE ANNEX (SOUTH): 810 Steve Hawkins Pkwy, Marble Falls, TX 78654
BURNET COUNTY, ATTORNEY: 512-756-5476
BURNET COUNTY, AUDITOR: 512-756-5486
BURNET COUNTY, CLERK: 512-756-5406
BURNET COUNTY, CENTRAL APPRAISAL DISTRICT: 512-756-8291; 223 S Pierce St, Burnet, TX 78611. www.burnet-cad.org. Map. Marble Falls Annex: 830-693-5468; 110 Ave H, #106, Marble Falls, TX 78654
BURNET COUNTY, COMMISSIONERS:
- PRECINCT 1: 512-756-4729; W of US-281; Foreman-Pct 1: Glenn Whitworth, ofc 512-756-4729, c512-715-5291, email@example.com
- PRECINCT 2: 512-489-2263; Downtown Burnet, then E of US-281 & N of TX-29
- PRECINCT 3: 830-798-3737; S of TX-29 to US-281 on W
- PRECINCT 4: 512-715-5235; Granite Shoals
- PRECINCT 1: 512-756-7351
- PRECINCT 2: 512-715-5271
- PRECINCT 3: 830-798-3024; 810 Steve Hawkins Pkwy, Marble Falls, TX 78654.
- PRECINCT 4: 830-798-3020; 810 Steve Hawkins Pkwy, Marble Falls, TX 78654. www.constable4.comFacebook
BURNET COUNTY, FAIR GROUNDS: 1301 Houston Clinton Dr, Burnet, TX 78611. Located behind the airport. Map
BURNET COUNTY, HISTORICAL COMMISSION: http://sites.google.com/site/burnetcohistcomm
BURNET COUNTY, JAIL: 512-715-8600; 900 County Ln, Burnet, TX 78611. http://www.burnetcountytexas.org/default.aspx?name=jail.home
BURNET COUNTY, JUSTICE OF THE PEACE:
- PRECINCT 1: 512-756-8623; 1906 TX-29 W, Burnet, TX 78611
- PRECINCT 2: 512-715-5453; 1701 E Polk, Burnet, TX 78611
- PRECINCT 3: 830-798-0267; 810 Steve Hawkins Pkwy, Marble Falls, TX 78654
- PRECINCT 4: 830-798-3205; 810 Steve Hawkins Pkwy, Marble Falls, TX 78654
BURNET COUNTY, SHERIFF: 512-756-8080; firstname.lastname@example.org
BURNET COUNTY, TAX ASSESSOR-COLLECTOR: 512-756-5494
BURNET COUNTY, TOURISM: Tourism Director, Teri Freitag: 512-715-5278; 220 S Pierce, Ste 202, Burnet, TX 78611. www.visitburnetcounty.org; email@example.com
BURNET COUNTY, VETERAN'S SERVICE OFFICE: Chuck Caraway: 512-715-5271. Courthouse on the Square, 220 S Pierce, Burnet, TX 78611.
Note regarding precinct areas: Precinct 1: W of US-281; Precinct 2: Downtown Burnet, then E of US-281 & N of TX-29. Precinct 4 is in the southern end of Burnet County and encompasses the areas of Spicewood, Cottonwood, Horseshoe Bay (the portion within Burnet County), Meadowlakes, the portion of Marble Falls S of Colorado River, and the SE corner of Granite Shoals.
Note: For District Courts and District Attorney serving Burnet County, see State & Federal Offices. Includes the 33rd and 424th District Courts.
LOCATED WITHIN THIS COUNTY: See detailed listings in each city/town in this county. Use the list with city links for this county at the top of this profile page. Or, use the Menu at the top of every page for city links. Burnet and Marble Falls are the predominate cities in this county and is where most such services are located.
DISTRICT COURTS AND DISTRICT ATTORNEY: See State & Federal Offices. Includes the 33rd and 424th District Courts.
US POSTAL SERVICE (USPS): 800-275-8777; www.usps.com
Local post offices:
- 512-355-2144; 135 FM-243 W, Bertram, TX 78605
- 512-489-2211; 140 Loop 308, Briggs, TX 78608-9998
- 512-756-4241; 508 E Jackson St, Burnet, TX 78611
- 830-598-1577/1219; 908 N Phillips Ranch Rd, Granite Shoals, TX 78654
- 830-693-3531; 1212 US-281, Marble Falls, TX 78654
- 830-693-2377; 121 Spur 191, Spicewood, TX 78669
LOCATED OUTSIDE THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY: See State & Federal Offices
(Police, Fire, EMS/Medical)
CRIME STOPPERS-REPORT ANONYMOUSLY: 1-800-222-8477; or click: Stoppers
DISASTER & EMERGENCY SERVICES: Beyond dialing 911 for emergency services (police, fire, rescue), when a major destructive event occurs (wind damage, flooding, explosion, wildland fire, mass casualty incidents, terrorism, etc.), response services are organized based on the disaster coverage area and severity:
- EMERGENCY SHELTERS & LOCAL RELIEF SERVICES MOSTLY WITHIN A CITY: Depending on local needs and incident circumstances, check with local service and information organizations and locations that can be found on the Portal city page for each town/city, per the above Portal menu at the top of each page. On these city pages you can determine their open/close status and scope of services (shelter, showers, food, clothing, financial, essential supplies, other) presently offered, and donations (food, clothing, cash, other) they will accept. Their scope can change quickly based on the extent of damage and needs. The city pages also include emergency contacts for major utilities that are often affected during such incidents, including power, water, communications, etc.
- MULTIPLE CITY OR COUNTY-WIDE INCIDENTS: See County Judge's office for Emergency Management, and Sheriff's Dept above.
- MULTIPLE COUNTY INCIDENTS: See our Portal Focus Topic Page on Emergency Services for comprehensive information on area-wide emergency resources and contacts (Red Cross, TCEQ, Alert Systems, etc.).
- CAPCOG EMERGENCY ALERT SYSTEM: 866-484-3264; Web Sign-Up. A free, automated system whereby you can be notified (via phone call, text, or mobile app) by your local emergency response team in the event of emergency situations or critical community alerts. Examples: evacuation notices, bio-terrorism alerts, boil water notices, severe weather and missing child reports.
CRISIS HOTLINES: click Hotlines-Emergencies
WITH OFFICES LOCATED WITHIN THIS COUNTY:
BURNET COUNTY HUNGER ALLIANCE: a volunteer group of food pantries, churches, school administrators, elected officials, area leaders and active citizens who have committed to end hunger in Burnet County. BCHA helps coordinate and direct people to existing resources and find gaps in service with the goal being three healthy meals daily to anyone in Burnet County who needs them. www.burnetcountyhungeralliance.org. info@burnetcounty hungeralliance.org
See detailed listings in each city/town in this county. Use the list with city links for this county at the top of this profile page. Or, use the Menu at the top of every page for city links. Marble Falls is the predominate city in this county and is where most such services are located.
WITH OFFICES LOCATED OUTSIDE THIS COUNTY:
AMERICAN RED CROSS, Central Texas Chapter:
2218 Pershing Dr, Austin, TX 78723. www.centex.redcross.org. A humanitarian organization led by volunteers and guided by its Congressional Charter and the fundamental principles of the International Red Cross Movement, that provides relief to victims of disasters and helps people prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies. Serves Burnet, Hays, Llano, Travis & Williamson counties.
CENTRAL TEXAS COLLEGE: 512-556-2969; 254-526-7161 In State: 1-800-223-4760 Out of State: 1-800-792-3348; POB 1800, Killeen, TX 76540-1800. The CTC Service Area Campus provides college credit and non-credit classes to the citizens of Central Texas in the following counties: Bell, Burnet, Coryell, Hamilton, Lampasas, Llano, Mason, McCulloch, Mills, San Saba and Williamson. These classes are offered on a semester basis. CTC Community Coordinators are located in Brady, Burnet, Gatesville, Hamilton, Lampasas and San Saba. Classroom courses, academic and vocational programs, distance education, dual and concurrent enrollment for high school students. www.ctcd.edu
COMMUNITY ACTION, INC. OF CENTRAL TEXAS: http://communityaction.com. Develops opportunities for people and communities to realize their potential. Adult education, Head Start, utility assistance, senior citizens, primary health services, family planning, HIV/AIDS assistance, breast & cervical cancer outreach, prescription assistance, home visiting.
Nearest Local office: 512-392-1161; POB 748, 101 Uhland Rd, Ste 107, San Marcos, TX 78666
TEXAS MASTER GARDENERS ASSOCIATION: www.txmg.org. A non-profit organization under the Texas A&M Agrilife Extension Program. Mission is to disseminate horticulture education on gardening, water conservation, soil maintenance, native & earthkind planting.
TEXAS MASTER NATURALISTS: www.txmn.org. A non-profit organization under the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Program in concert with Texas Parks & Wildlife. Mission is to develop a corps of well-informed volunteers to provide education, outreach, and service dedicated to the beneficial management of natural resources and natural areas within their communities.
Local: Highland Lakes, www.txmn.org/highlandlakes. Counties served: Blanco, Burnet, Llano. Meets 1st Wed, except Aug, 1-3p at Church of Christ, 711 Broadway, Marble Falls
TEXAS RIO GRANDE LEGAL AID (TRLA): 1-888-988-9996; 4920 IH-35 N, Frontage Rd, Austin, TX 78751. www.trla.org. A non-profit organization that provides free legal services to eligible low-income residents in 68 counties of SW Texas, including the Hill Country, and also represents migrant and seasonal farm workers. No local permanent offices (except nearby Austin and San Antonio), however visits are made to some cities. Start eligibility application process on web or call for appointment. Counties served: Bandera, Blanco, Burnet, Comal, Edwards, Gillespie, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Llano, Mason, Medina, Real, Travis, Uvalde, Williamson
Note: See chamber, tourism & economic development listings in profile section above.
Note: For Hill Country-wide non-profits, public service and social service organizations, see Hill Country Information
HILL COUNTRY-WIDE UTILITY PROVIDERS:
For Hill Country area utility service providers (electric, gas, water, sewer, trash),
telecom providers (land lines, cellular service, TV, internet), and related services (package delivery, newspaper, etc.), click: Utilities & Telecom
SANDY ROAD GUEST HAUS:
Upscale Western-style Guest House Lodging
in a Beautiful Ranch Setting in the Gorgeous Texas Hill Country
Reservations & Information: 281-300-7177
9242 RR 1320 (Sandy Road), Johnson City, TX 78636
Web: www.SandyRoadGuestHaus.com Email: info@SandyRoadGuestHaus.com
Come Relax & Enjoy!
Click for Hill Country:
» FESTIVALS/MAJOR EVENTS
» LIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Click To Visit Burnet County
Just an hour's drive from
Austin or San Antonio
in the beautiful
Texas Hill Country
Affordable Pre-paid Emergency Air Transport Service
Click image for details
Protection starts at $65/yr