Cofran's Texas . . .
Hill Country Portal
A Powerful Information Database & Gateway Service for the Texas Hill Country
City Profile For:
CYPRESS MILL, Texas
"no slogan"Population (2000): 56COL Index:
Elevation: n/aArea: UndefinedCounty: Blanco
Zip Code: 78663Area Code: 830-825Time Zone: CST
Coordinates: 30.380919 N, -98.250660 W
Location: In far NE part of county; 40 mi W of Austin; 10 mi E of Hwy 281 via Cypress Mill Road
Highways: RR 962 E; Cypress Mill Rd; Cypress Mill Ranch Rd
Creeks: CypressRivers: N of PedernalesLakes: None
CHAMBER, TOURISM & ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT: Nothing formal
NEIGHBORING TOWNS: 20 mi SW of Bee Cave, 13 mi NE Johnson City, SE of Marble Falls, 6 mi SE of Round Mountain, SW of Spicewood
PRINCIPAL BUSINESS: Ranching
MAJOR ATTRACTIONS: See full details in Directory below. NEARBY & HILL COUNTRY-WIDE ATTRACTIONS: See Attractions
Some of the very nearby attractions include:
- Bee Cave: Hamilton Pool; Milton Reimers Ranch Park; Westcave Preserve; Galleria
- Johnson City: Exotic Zoo Resort; Texas Hills Winery; Whittington's Jerky; Historic Courthouse & Jail; Lavender Farms; Wildflower Capital; Bamberger Ranch; LBJ Boyhood Home
- Marble Falls: Lake LBJ; Lake Marble Falls; Historic Main Street District; Falls On The Colorado Museum; Fox Memorial Marker & Panoramic View; Sweet Berry Farm; Marble Falls Historic Train Depot & Chamber Visitor Center; Granite Mountain/Cold Spring Texas Granite Company
- Round Mountain: Auction Barn; Historic Church & Inn
- Spicewood: Cypress Valley Canopy Tours; Dead Man's Hole; Krause Springs; Golf; Parks; Vineyards
- Bee Cave: Hamilton Pool; Milton Reimers Ranch Park; Westcave Preserve
- Johnson City: Pedernales Falls State Park; LCRA Pedernales River Nature Park; LBJ National Park
- LAKE MARBLE FALLS SHORE PARKS:
- LAKE TRAVIS SHORE PARKS:
- Briarcliff: Pace Bend
- Hudson Bend: Mansfield Dam
- Jonestown: Dave Reed, Fireman's, Jones Brothers, Laura Reed, Pecan Bottom, Shady, Veterans Memorial
- Lago Vista: Arkansas Bend, Arrowhead Point, Bar-K, Cody, Emerald, Greenshore, Hancock, Heather, Marina View
- Lakeway: Dragon, Lakeway City, Porpoise, Rebel, Sailfish, Swim Center
- Hudson Bend: Mansfield Dam
- NW Lake Travis: Camp Creek, Gloster Bend, Turkey Bend
- Oasis: Mansfield Dam
- Point Venture: Arkansas Bend, Dink Pearson
- Spicewood: Grelle, Muleshoe Bend, Narrows
- Volente: Bob Wentz-Windy Point, Cypress Creek, Hippie Hollow, Malberper, Sandy Creek, Shaffer Bend, Tom Hughes, Turkey Bend, Volente Beach Waterpark
- Bunkhouse Gang: Meets every Tue at Wenmohs Ranch. Paint and enjoy fellowship of other artists. 830-825-3465
WEATHER: Local Weather (Johnson City); Hill Country-wide Weather
MEDIA COVERAGE: MAPS: Local Google; Hill Country Special Maps
ROADS: For detailed listing of county, state and federal roads in Blanco County, including an interactive map, click: Roads
HISTORY: Handbook of Texas Online: "A mill was constructed at the site on Cypress Creek in the late 1860s. The community that developed there was at first called Fuchs' Mill for Wilhelm Fuchs and his family, early owners of the mill. The name Cypress Mill came into use after a post office opened in 1874. By the mid-1880s the community had grist and saw mills, a cotton gin, and 130 residents. The principal shipments made by area farmers were cotton, cattle, and wool. Cypress Mill reached a peak population of 200 around 1900 but began to decline soon thereafter, and by the early 1940s its population had fallen to thirty. Its population rose to sixty by the late 1940s, and several houses and a business marked the community on county highway maps. The community's population was reported at seventy-six in 1970 and at fifty-six from 1980 through 2000. The Cypress Mill post office was discontinued in the late 1980s."
"Farmers, Ranchers, the Land and the Falls: A History of the Pedernales Falls Area, 1850–1970": An excellent history of the Pedernales Community, including Cypress Mill. Written by John J. Leffler. Pictures, land plots, and an extensive bibliography.
PRIOR CITY NAMES: Fuch's Mill
- Cypress Mill Community Cemetery: Just E of town on S side, at 10634 RR 962 E
- Goeth-Wenmohs Cemetery: off RR 962 E on CR
OTHER PROFILES: City Data (not available); ePodunk (not available); Texas Escapes; Travel Texas (not available); Wikipedia (not available)
There is not a downtown area or center of business. Cypress Mill is a residential, rural, ranchland area.
We welcome inquiries, comments and submission of updates, additions, corrections & digital photos,
without compensation. Send to Editor at:
BUSINESS & ORGANIZATION DIRECTORY
(Police, Fire, EMS/Medical)
CRIME STOPPERS-REPORT ANONYMOUSLY: 1-800-222-8477; or click: Stoppers
LOCAL CITY GOVERNMENT: Unincorporated
LOCAL COUNTY GOVERNMENT: See: Blanco County Government Offices
STATE & FEDERAL GOVERNMENT: For offices that represent the Hill Country,
see: Texas & Federal Government Offices
CRISIS HOTLINES: click Hotlines-Emergencies
DAY & SEASON HUNTING OPPORTUNITIES:
See full list of leases for this area at: Hunting & Fishing.
CYPRESS MILL CEMETERY: 10634 RR 962 E, Cypress Mill, TX 78663
CYPRESS MILL GENERAL STORE: Spur Ranch Rd, 962 E Cypress Mill, TX 78663. Located across street from St. Luke's, owned by the Maples, not open to the public, but used occasionally for private events.
CYPRESS MILL RANCH HEADQUARTERS: 830-825-3316; Cypress Mill, TX 78663
MCREYNOLDS WINERY: 830-825-3544; 706 Shovel Mountain Rd, Cypress Mill, TX 78663. www.mcreynoldswines.com. Fri-Sat 10-6; Sun 12-6; or by appointment. Award-winning, hand crafted, premium Texas table wines. Picnic facilities available. Located halfway between Marble Falls and Johnson City. From Austin, 25 mi W of Bee Cave (via Hamilton Pool Rd/RR 3238) or from Round Mountain 6 mi E on RR 962 to Shovel Mountain Rd (Blanco Co Rd 304). N on Shovel Mtn Rd, 1/2 mi to winery.
ST. LUKE'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH: 830-825-8001; 263 Spur Ranch Rd, 962 E Cypress Mill, TX 78663. www.stlukes-cm.org, www.episcopalchurch.org
(THE) SUMMIT AT CYPRESS MILL: 800-511-2430; Cypress Mill, TX 78663. www.cypressmilltx.com
WENMOHS RANCH & GALLERY: 830-825-3465; 573 Old Spicewood Rd (CR 302), Cypress Mill, TX 78663. This is a working cattle ranch, home & gallery of artist Dena Wenmohs, retreat, artist's workshop venue, with bunkhouse rental. www.wenmohsranch.com
PEDERNALES ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE (PEC): www.pec.coop. A Texas non-profit corporation owned by its members, the largest electric cooperative in the country, coves 8,100 square miles, 214,000 members, with assets over $1 billion.
HQ, Connections & Service Startup: 1-888-554-4732
Emergencies, Outages & Marking of Underground Utility Lines, 24x7: 1-888-883-3379
Nearest Local Office: See Johnson City above.
HILL COUNTRY-WIDE UTILITY PROVIDERS:
For Hill Country area utility service providers (electric, gas, water, sewer, trash),
telecom providers (land lines, cellular service, TV, internet), and related services (package delivery, newspaper, etc.), click: Utilities & Telecom
SANDY ROAD GUEST HAUS:
Upscale Western-style Guest House Lodging
in a Beautiful Ranch Setting in the Gorgeous Texas Hill Country
Reservations & Information: 281-300-7177
9242 RR 1320 (Sandy Road), Johnson City, TX 78636
Web: www.SandyRoadGuestHaus.com Email: info@SandyRoadGuestHaus.com
Come Relax & Enjoy!