Cofran's Texas . . .
Hill Country Portal
A Powerful Information Database & Gateway Service for the Texas Hill Country
City Profile For:
"Texas' Most Successful Ghost Town"Population (2000): 20Businesses (2000):
Elevation: 676 ftArea: undefined smCounty: Comal
Zip Code: 78130Area Code: 830Time Zone: CST
Coordinates: 29° 44' 18" N, 98° 6' 14" W
Location: 3 mi N of New Braunfels
Highways: TX 46, 306Creeks: Rivers: GuadalupeLakes: None
CITY: Unincorporated. Gruene is an historic district located within the city limits of New Braunfels, in the NE section.
CHAMBER, TOURISM & ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT:
- Gruene Tourism: (there is not an "official" chamber for Gruene): 830-629-5077
1601 Hunter Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130
PRINCIPAL BUSINESS: Tourism
MAJOR ATTRACTIONS: See full details in Directory below.
- Gruene Downtown Historic District: Quaint shops, restaurants, historic buildings, B&Bs
- Gruene Hall: 830-606-1281; at 1281 Gruene Rd, FM 306, downtown Gruene (New Branufels). www.gruenehall.com. See Southern Living article at Dance. Built in 1878, this is a huge attraction in modern times. Texas German Heritage, 75th Germania Farmer Verein. Claimed to be the "Built in 1878, Gruene Hall is the oldest continually running dance hall in Texas." Gruene Hall has hosted such acts as Willie Nelson, Lyle Lovett and George Strait. "The town was established on the Guadalupe River for the operation of the steam operated cotton gin, and by 1872 over 8000 acres were under cultivation. The Dance Hall was built by Heinrich Gruene along with a store and saloon for the local farmers. Reopened in 1979 it has inspired the entire town to be restored to its 1880s appeal. Many young Artists from all over have played this monument to Texas Music, including Jerry Jeff Walker, George Strait, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Loose Diamonds and the Sisters Morales. Only a few Halls such as Schroeder Hall, Fischer Hall and Anhalt Hall are older than Gruene Hall, one of the older Honky Tonks in the entire Lone Star State. Great music all the time." Live bands or singers most every day of week, sometimes two per day, free unless it is a big name, sometimes two per day, varying genre.
- River Watersports: Swimming, tubing and paddling water fun on the lower Guadalupe River. See our focus page at Tubing & Paddling
Some of the very nearby attractions include:
- Bulverde, Spring Branch: Golf, Parks
- Canyon Lake Area: Canyon Lake; Water Recreation; Canyon Lake Gorge; Museum, Golf
- New Braunfels: Alamo Classic Car Museum; Barbershop Museum; Clear Springs Aviaries & Zoological Gardens; Dry Comal Creek Vineyards; Fire Museum; Golf; Heritage Village; Historic Gruene; Lindheimer House; Mckenna Children's Museum; Museum Of Art And Music; Natural Bridge Caverns; Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch; New Braunfels Conservation Society; Parks; Railroad Museum; River Tubing; Schlitterbahn Waterpark; Shopping Outlet Malls; Snake Farm; Sophienburg Museum
- San Marcos: Aquarena Springs; Belvin Street District; Historic City Hall And Fire Station; Commemorative Air Force Central Texas Wing; Shopping Outlet Malls; Golf; River Tubing; National Fish Hatchery; Scenic Drives; Texas State University; Wittliff Gallery; Wonder World Park; Many Recreational Parks
- Wimberley: Bella Vista Olive Ranch; Corral Theatre; Emily Ann Theatre; Hunters Chase Farms; Jacob's Well; Central Texas Bonsai Exhibit/Jade Gardens; Old Baldy; Golf; Wimberley Glass Works; Lavender Farms; Wimberley Players; Wimberley Zipline Adventures
- Bulverde-Spring Branch: Gaudalupe River State Park; Honey Creek State Natural Area
- Canyon Lake Area: Canyon Park; Canyon Beach Park; Comal Park; Cranes Mill Park; Guadalupe Park; North Park; Overlook Park; Potters Creek Park; Jacob's Park
- Dec: Cowboy Kringle, town lighting at 6p
- On-going Events:
- Every Day: Live Music At Gruene Hall: 830-606-1281; at 1281 Gruene Rd., FM 306, downtown Gruene (New Branufels). www.gruenehall.com. Cover charge only on Fri & Sat evenings.
- Every Fri: Friday Afternoon Club At Gruene Hall: 830-629-5077; 4p-7p, at 1281 Gruene Rd, FM 306, downtown Gruene (New Branufels). www.gruenehall.com. Happy Hour, prize givaways and Texas tunes broadcast live by KNBY-92.1 FM.
- Old Gruene Market Days: 830-832-1721. Live entertainment; 100 artisans, specialty shopping and unique dining in Gruene's turn-of-the-century historic district. From I-35, Exit 191, go west 1.5 miles, turn L on Hunter Road. 10a-5p. www.gruenemarketdays.com
WEATHER: Local Weather (New Braunfels); Hill Country-wide Weather
MEDIA COVERAGE: See full details in Directory below. MAPS: Local Google; Hill Country Special Maps
HISTORY: Handbook of Texas Online: "Gruene was originally three miles north of New Braunfels at a crossing on the Guadalupe River in Comal County. In recent decades it has been brought within the city limits of New Braunfels. The community was once a prosperous commercial and supply center for blackland cotton farmers of eastern Comal County. German farmers settled the area in the 1850s, and the town took shape in subsequent years under the name Goodwin Community. In 1872 the Gruene family purchased 6,000 acres north of the Guadalupe River, and in 1878 Henry D. Gruene built a mercantile store to serve the several dozen families sharecropping his family's land. The profitable river-crossing store was also on the stage route between Austin and San Antonio. Gruene provided land for Thorn Hill School and soon added a cotton gin and dance hall to his business concerns. With completion of the International-Great Northern Railroad through Comal County in the 1880s, the community's commercial development accelerated, and it took the name of its leading citizen.
In 1900 Gruene was the banking, ginning, and shipping center for area cotton growers. Its dance hall and saloon became the focus of social activities. By the early 1900s the town was served by the Goodwin post office and by passenger and freight depots for both the International-Great Northern and the Missouri, Kansas and Texas railroads. Gruene began a decline with the boll weevil blight of the 1920s. It is reported that late in that decade the Gruene family's 8,000-acre holdings failed to produce a single bale of cotton. The mercantile store and rail depots were closed with the onset of the Great Depression. As post-World War II highway construction bypassed the community, its decline was completed. An estimated population of seventy-five in the 1930s had dispersed by 1950, leaving the once thriving community a ghost town.
Gruene began a revival in the 1970s with restoration of the nineteenth-century settlement as a center for arts, crafts, and tourism. Within a few years the Gruene Dance Hall-touted as the oldest operating in the state-once again attracted weekend crowds. A live theater company, craft and antique shops, restaurants, a hotel, and a winery occupied historic structures and served tourists attracted by the scenic Guadalupe River. The entire town is on the National Register of Historic Places. Since redevelopment the resident population is estimated at twenty."
City named for Henry D. Gruene, an early settler. Founded 1878.
PRIOR CITY NAMES: Goodwin
HISTORICAL MARKERS: See Texas Historical Commission's Historic Sites Atlas: http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us. Includes interactive map plus detailed descriptions of historical markers, cemeteries, museums, all searchable by county.
Gruene (THC marker, on right)
CEMETERIES: See THC Historic Sites Atlas above.
AVAILABLE SERVICES: Gas: no; Convenience Stores: no; Restaurants: yes; Lodging: yes; Grocery Stores: no; Banks: no; Vehicle Repair: no; Hospital: no; Med Clinic: no; Post Office: no; Public Schools: no; Cemetery: no. (Note, most services are available in New Braunfels).
OTHER PROFILES: City Data (not available); ePodunk; Texas Escapes; Travel Texas (not available); Tour Texas (not available); Wikipedia
For Directory Listings, be sure to also check New Braunfels listings, of which Gruene is a part.
We welcome inquiries, comments and submission of updates, additions, corrections
& digital photos, without compensation. Send to:
BUSINESS & ORGANIZATION DIRECTORY
GOOD PICKIN'S: 830-626-6090; 311 FM 306, exit 191 at IH-35, Greune, TX 78130. www.goodpick.com
GRUENE ANTIQUE COMPANY: 830-629-7781; 1607 Hunter, Gruene, TX 78130. 8,000-square-feet of nostalgic wares. www.grueneantiqueco.com
GALLERIE AT GRUENE: 830-626-6250; 1633 Hunter Rd, Gruene, TX 78130. www.gallerieatgruene.com. Fine art
GRUENE HALL: 830-606-1281; 1281 Gruene Rd, FM 306, downtown Gruene (New Branufels). www.gruenehall.com. See Southern Living article at Dance. Built in 1878, this is a huge attraction in modern times. Texas Gernan Heritage, 75th Germania Farmer Verein. Claimed to be the "Built in 1878, Gruene Hall is the oldest continually running dance hall in Texas." Gruene Hall has hosted such acts as Willie Nelson, Lyle Lovett and George Strait. "The town was established on the Guadalupe River for the operation of the steam operated cotton gin, and by 1872 over 8000 acres were under cultivation. The Dance Hall was built by Heinrich Gruene along with a store and saloon for the local farmers. Reopened in 1979 it has inspired the entire town to be restored to its 1880s appeal. Many young Artists from all over have played this monument to Texas Music, including Jerry Jeff Walker, George Strait, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Loose Diamonds and the Sisters Morales. Only a few Halls such as Schroeder Hall, Fischer Hall and Anhalt Hall are older than Gruene Hall, one of the older Honky Tonks in the entire Lone Star State. Great music all the time.". Live bands or singers most every day of week, sometimes two per day, free unless it is a big name, sometimes two per day, varying genre.
MAYFLOWER DANCE HALL: Rio Median, Gruene (Comal County), Gruene, TX. Circa 1909.
(Police, Fire, EMS/Medical)
CRIME STOPPERS-REPORT ANONYMOUSLY: 1-800-222-8477; or click: Stoppers
CRISIS HOTLINES: click Hotlines-Emergencies
LOCAL CITY GOVERNMENT: Unincorporated
LOCAL COUNTY GOVERNMENT: See: Comal County Government Offices
STATE & FEDERAL GOVERNMENT: For offices that represent the Hill Country,
see: Texas & Federal Government Offices
DAY & SEASON HUNTING OPPORTUNITIES:
See full list of leases for this town at: Hunting & Fishing.
ANTOINETTE'S COTTAGE: 830-606-6929; 1258 Gruene Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130
GRUENE APPLE B & B: 830-643-1234; 1235 Gruene Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130
GRUENE HOMESTEAD INN: 800-238-5534, 830-606-0216; 832 Gruene Rd, Gruene, TX 78130. www.gruenehomesteadinn.com
GRUENE MANSION INN: 830-629-2641; 1275 Gruene Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130. www.gruenemansioninn.com
GRUENE OUTPOST RIVER LODGE: 830-625-7772; 1273 River Terrace, New Braunfels, TX 78130
GRUENE RIVER INN: 830-627-1600; 1111 Gruene Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130
GRUENE RIVERSIDE HAVEN: 830-625-5823; 1491 Edwards Blvd, New Braunfels, TX 78132
KUEBLER WALDRIP HAUS & DANVILLE SCHOOLHOUSE B & B: 800-299-8372; 1620 Hueco Springs Loop, New Braunfels, TX 78132. www.kueblerwaldrip.com
LAMB'S REST INN: 1385 Edwards Blvd, New Braunfels, TX 78132
OMA GRUENE's INN & COTTAGES: 830-237-5746; 1263 Gruene Rd, Gruene, TX 78130
BUCK POTTERY: 830-629-7975; 1296 Gruene Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130. www.buckpottery.com
COTTON EYED JOES: 830-620-1995; 1608 Hunter Rd, Gruene, TX 78130. www.cottoneyedjoes.com. Souvenirs & gifts
FIRST STATE BANK: 830-624-4100; 2610 E Common St, New Braunfels, TX 78130. www.firststate-texas.com
GRUENE DAY SPA: 830-387-4619; 1633 New Braunfels, Gruene, TX 78130. www.gruenedayspa.com
GRUENE GARDENS: 830-625-8816; 1632 Hunter Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130
(OLD) GRUENE GENERAL STORE: 830-629-6021; 1610 Hunter Rd, Gruene, TX 78130. www.gruenegeneralstore.com
GRUENE HARLEY DAVIDSON: 830-624-2473; 1288 Loop 337, Gruene/New Braunfels, TX 78130. www.grueneharley.com
GRUENE HAUS - A COUNTRY STORE: 830-620-7454; 1297 Gruene Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130
GRUENE MANSION ANTIQUES & GIFT: 830-626-2082; 1275 Gruene Rd, Gruene, TX 78130
GRUENE OUTFITTERS: 830-625-4440; 1629 Hunter Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130. www.grueneoutfitters.com. Outdoor Clothing, Footwear, and Fly Tackle
GRUENE PUMPKIN PATCH: 830-625-7200; 2629 E Common St, New Braunfels, TX 78132
GRUENE WERKS: 830-629-2351; 1720 Hunter Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130
GRUENE WOOD WORKS: 830-626-1515; 1033 Hunter Rd, Gruene, TX 78130
HAMPE HOUSE: 830-620-1325; 1640 Hunter Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130
HUNTER JUNCTION: 830-629-4900; 1254 Gruene Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130
JH ANTIQUES & GIFTS: 830-620-9199; 1710 Hunter Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130
LONE STAR TEXAS ECLECTIC: 830-609-1613; 1613 Hunter Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130. http://lonestaringruene.com. Household items
LONE STAR MUSIC: 800-896-8742; 1243 Gruene Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130
TEXAS HOMEGROWN: 830-629-3176; 1641 Hunter Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130
THE VILLAGE AT GRUENE CONDOS: Gruene, TX 78130. email@example.com
LIONS CLUB: www.lionsclubs.org. A volunteer-based, non-profit, community service organization that aggressively works to donate back to the community to support local, regional, national and international needs. Mission is to empower volunteers to serve their communities, meet humanitarian needs, encourage peace and promote international understanding through Lions clubs.
Local: Gruene Lions, Meets 1st Tue at Oma Gruene's, 1263 Gruene Rd, 6p-7p. 800-572-2626. www.gruenelionsclub.org.
GRUENE TOURISM: 830-629-5077; 1601 Hunter Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130. www.gruenetexas.com firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: There is not an "official" chamber for Gruene.
EXIT REALTY - KATHY ALLBRITTON: 210-289-2110; 1619 E Common, #1003, New Braunfels, TX 78132. www.kathysellsnewbraunfels.com
WATERCREST REAL ESTATE: 830-629-0800; 1184 Gruene Rd, Gruene, TX 78130
ADOBE VERDE: 830-629-0777; 1724 Hunter Rd, Gruene, TX 78130. Mexican
CANTINA DEL RIO: 830-515-1950; 1299 Gruene Rd, Gruene, TX 78130. www.cantinaingruene.com
GRUENE RIVER GRILL: 830-624-2300; 1259 Guuene Rd, Gruene, TX 78130. www.gruenerivergrill.com.
(THE) GRAPEVINE: 830-606-0093; 1612 Hunter Rd, Gruene, TX 78130. www.grapevineingruene.com. Wine bar & tasting room
(THE) GRISTMILL RIVER RESTAURANT & BAR: 830-625-0684; 1287 Gruene Rd, Gruene, TX 78130. www.gristmillrestaurant.com.
GRUENE HALL: 830-606-1281; 1281 Gruene Rd, FM 306, downtown Gruene (New Branufels), TX 78130. www.gruenehall.com.
GRUENE SNACK SHOP: 830-625-2116; 1263 Gruene Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130
MAYFLOWER DANCE HALL: Rio Median, Gruene (Comal County), Gruene, TX 78130. Circa 1909.
MOZIES BAR & GRILL: 830-515-1281; 1601-A Hunter Rd, Gruene, TX 78130. www.moziesbarandgrill.com
RIVER HOUSE TEA ROOM: 830-608-0690; 1617, Gruene, TX 78130
HILL COUNTRY-WIDE UTILITY PROVIDERS:
For Hill Country area utility service providers (electric, gas, water, sewer, trash),
telecom providers (land lines, cellular service, TV, internet), and related services (package delivery, newspaper, etc.), click: Utilities & Telecom
SANDY ROAD GUEST HAUS:
Upscale Western-style Guest House Lodging
in a Beautiful Ranch Setting in the Gorgeous Texas Hill Country
Reservations & Information: 281-300-7177
9242 RR 1320 (Sandy Road), Johnson City, TX 78636
Web: www.SandyRoadGuestHaus.com Email: info@SandyRoadGuestHaus.com
Come Relax & Enjoy!