Cofran's Texas . . .
Hill Country Portal
A Powerful Information Database & Gateway Service for the Texas Hill Country
County Profile For:
HAYS COUNTY, Texas
"no slogan"County Seat: San MarcosEst: 1848
County Borders: NE: Travis; SE: Caldwell S: Guadalupe; SW: Comal; NW: Blanco
Population (2015): 194,739Businesses (2014): 3,660COL Index (2008): 88.0
Zip Codes: 78610, 78619, 78620, 78640, 78666, 78667, 78676
Area Codes: 512, 737Time Zone: CST
Center Line Coordinates: 98° 00' N; 30° 00' W
Major Highways: I-35, US 290, TX 21, 80
Creeks: Bear, Cypress, OnionRivers: Blanco, San MarcosLakes:
Area: 678 smElevation: 600 to 1,400 ft
CITIES & TOWNS IN THIS COUNTY:
- Cities: Austin, Bear Creek, Buda, Dripping Springs, Hays, Kyle, Mountain City, San Marcos, Uhland, Wimberley, Woodcreek
- Towns: Niederwald
- Villages: Bear Creek
- Unincorporated: Driftwood, Centex, Cloptins Crossing, Fitzhugh, Hays City, Henly, Mount, Pioneer Town
- Other Places: Flatrock Ford, Goforth, Mount Gainer, Pleasant Valley Crossing
- County Judge: Bert Cobb, M.D., 512-393-2205
111 E San Antonio St, Ste 300, San Marcos, TX 78666
- Capital Area Council Of Governments (CAPCOG)
Ofc: 512-916-6000, Fax: 512-916-6001
6800 Burleson Rd, Bldg 310, Ste 165, Austin, TX 78744
Web: www.capcog.org, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PRINCIPAL BUSINESS: tourism, entertainment, education, wineries, outlet malls
EVENT CALENDAR: For full details on these and nearby events see Festivals & Major Events, Trade Days & Farmers Markets, Live Entertainment, and calendars on our other focus topic pages accessible from the menu above.
WEATHER: Local Weather (San Marcos); Hill Country-wide Weather
MEDIA COVERAGE: See full details in Directory below.
- On-Line News: Google News; Topix
San Marcos Daily Record: 512-392-2458; www.sanmarcosrecord.com;
San Marcos Mercury: www.sanmarcosmercury.com;
DS Century News, web;
News-Dispatch (Driftwood), www.newsdispatchnewspaper.com;
Wimberley View Newspaper: 512-847-2202, http://hollymedia.newspaperdirect.com, Monthly printed publication with on-line availability
- Radio: KTSW 89.9 FM; KZOS-LP 92.5 FM; KBPA 103.5 FM; KUOL 1470 AM
- TV, Articles & Videos:
- Handbook Of Texas Online: TSHA
- County TXGenWeb Project: Genealogical/historical information, including cemeteries, markers, maps, census data, surname queries): TXGenWeb
- Hays County Historical Commission: See full details in Directory below.
- More history: See Portal city profiles in list shown above, including San Marcos.
- Five Mile Dam Park Complex: on the Blanco River, that includes a new 43-acre soccer complex. It adjoins two Hays County parks along the Blanco River: Dudley Johnson Park and Randall Vetter Park. All three parks are located at 4440 S Old Stagecoach Rd, just north of San Marcos off of Post Rd, across the street from the Blanco Vista subdivision. See Parks
Hays County Cemetery Photos, Facts & Directions
OTHER PROFILES: TXCIP; US Census Quick Facts; ePodunk; Wikipedia
We welcome inquiries, comments and submission of updates, additions, corrections & digital photos,
without compensation. Send to Editor at:
BUSINESS & ORGANIZATION DIRECTORY
HAYS CENTRAL APPRAISAL DISTRICT: 512-268-2522; 21001 IH-35 N, Kyle, TX 78640; www.hayscad.com. Web
HAYS COUNTY: County Judge Bert Cobb, M.D.: 512-393-2205; 111 E San Antonio St, Ste 300, San Marcos, TX 78666. www.co.hays.tx.us
HAYS COUNTY, ANIMAL CONTROL: 512-393-7896
HAYS COUNTY, CIVIC CENTER: Closed: 512-353-0498; 1249 Civic Center Loop, San Marcos, TX 78666
HAYS COUNTY, COMMISSIONER - PRECINCT 1: 512-393-2243; 111 E. San Antonio St, Ste 304, San Marcos, TX 78666
HAYS COUNTY, COMMISSIONER - PRECINCT 2: 512-262-2091; 5458 FM 2770 at Crystal Meadow Dr, Kyle, TX 78640
HAYS COUNTY, COMMISSIONER - PRECINCT 3: 512-847-3159; 14306 RR 12, Ste 11, Wimberley, TX 78676
HAYS COUNTY, COMMISSIONER - PRECINCT 4: 512-858-7268; 195 Roger Hanks Pkwy, Dripping Springs, TX 78620
HAYS COUNTY, CONSTABLE - PRECINCT 3: 512-847-5532
HAYS COUNTY, COURTHOUSE: 512-393-2205; 111 E San Antonio St, Ste 300, San Marcos, TX 78666
HAYS COUNTY, DEVELOPMENT SERVICES: 512-393-2150; POB 1006, 2171 Yarrington Rd, San Marcos TX 78667-1006. www.co.hays.tx.us/development-services.aspx. Has responsibilities in many areas of long-range planning, permitting, mapping and inspection.
HAYS COUNTY, GOVERNMENT CENTER: 712 S Stagecoach Trl, San Marcos, TX 78666
HAYS COUNTY, HEALTH DEPARTMENT: 512-393-2150; 401-A Broadway St, San Marcos, TX 78666
HAYS COUNTY, HISTORICAL COMMISSION: www.hayshistoricalcommission.com. Kate Johnson: Chair, 512-644-7669
HAYS COUNTY JUSTICE OF THE PEACE - PRECINCT 3: 512-847-2000; Ste 11, 14306 RR 12 (at the Y), Wimberley, TX 78676
HAYS COUNTY JUSTICE OF THE PEACE - PRECINCT 4: 512-858-7446; Dripping Springs, TX 78620
HAYS COUNTY JUSTICE OF THE PEACE - PRECINCT 5: 512-931-1167; 500 Jack C Hays Trl, Buda, TX 78610
HAYS COUNTY PARKS & RECREATION: 512-393-2212; 4440 S Old Stagecoach Rd, San Marcos, TX 78666
HAYS COUNTY SHERIFF: 512-393-7800; 512-393-7896; 1307 Uhland Rd, San Marcos, TX 78666. http://sheriff.co.hays.tx.us. Sheriff Gary Cutler; Email: email@example.com
HAYS COUNTY TAX ASSESSOR - PROPERTY TAX AND LICENSE PLATES: 512-393-5545
HAYS COUNTY, ALL OFFICES LISTED: http://www.co.hays.tx.us/offices.aspx
LOCATED WITHIN THIS COUNTY: See detailed listings in each city/town in this county. Use the list with city links for this county at the top of this profile page. Or, use the Menu at the top of every page for city links. Buda, Dripping Springs, Kyle, San Marcos, Wimberley are the predominate cities in this county and is where most such services are located.
TEXAS PARKS & WILDLIFE DEPARTMENT (TPWD): 512-288-0895; www.tpwd.state.tx.us. See Parks. Provides technical assistance to landowners in all aspects of native wildlife and habitat management, including game, non-game, and endangered species. Experts are available to assist in the preparation of detailed wildlife management plans. Blanco and Hays counties.
US POST OFFICES: 800-275-8777; www.usps.com
- 512-295-4241; 1320 Cabelas Dr, Buda, TX 78610-9998
- 512-858-7847; 100 Elder Hill Rd, Driftwood, TX 78619
- 512-858-4651; 1450 US 290 W, Dripping Springs, TX 78620
- 800-275-8777; 512-268-5541; 555 Rebel Rd, Kyle, TX 78640-9998
- 512-392-4831; 210 S Stagecoach Trl, San Marcos, TX 78666-9998
- 512-847-2623; 111 Joe Wimberley Blvd, TX 78676-9998
LOCATED OUTSIDE THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY: See State & Federal Offices
(Police, Fire, EMS/Medical)
CRIME STOPPERS-REPORT ANONYMOUSLY: 1-800-222-8477; or click: Stoppers
HAYS COUNTY CRIME STOPPERS: 800-324-8477; www.callcrimestoppers.com; Submit an anonymous tip on-line
SAN MARCOS/HAYS COUNTY EMS: 512-353-5115; 1305 IH-35 N, San Marcos, TX 78667. www.smhcems.com. Serves San Marcos, Kyle, Mountain City, Hays, Dripping Springs, Henly, Driftwood, Uhland and Niederwald, most of Hays County and portions of Guadalupe County.
TEXAS DEPT OF PUBLIC SAFETY: 800-525-5555
DISASTER & EMERGENCY SERVICES: Beyond dialing 911 for emergency services (police, fire, rescue), when a major destructive event occurs (wind damage, flooding, explosion, wildland fire, mass casualty incidents, terrorism, etc.), response services are organized based on the disaster coverage area and severity:
- EMERGENCY SHELTERS & LOCAL RELIEF SERVICES MOSTLY WITHIN A CITY: Depending on local needs and incident circumstances, check with local service and information organizations and locations that can be found on the Portal city page for each town/city, per the above Portal menu (at the top of each page). On these city pages you can determine their open/close status and scope of services (shelter, showers, food, clothing, financial, essential supplies, other) presently offered, and donations (food, clothing, cash, other) they will accept. Their scope can change quickly based on the extent of damage and needs. The city pages also include emergency contacts for major utilities that are often affected during such incidents, including power, water, communications, etc.
- MULTIPLE CITY OR COUNTY-WIDE INCIDENTS: See County Judge's office for Emergency Management, and Sheriff's Dept above.
- Hays County Emergency Management Office
- Hays Informed: 512-393-7300; haysinformed.com. Timely information regarding road closures and flood warnings throughout the county.
- Call Center: 512-754-2275; Hays County-wide, disaster-related
- Volunteer Resource Center: 512-753-2320; San Marcos Plaza Park, 206 C.M. Allen Pkwy, 8a-5p, Coordinated by City of San Marcos, Hays County and AmeriCorps
- Volunteer Resource Center: 200 S River St, Wimberley
- Facebook, Hays County: https://www.facebook.com/hayscountytexas
- 2015 Flood: https://www.facebook.com/wimberleyflood2015
- MULTIPLE COUNTY INCIDENTS: See our Portal Focus Topic Page on Emergency Services for comprehensive information on area-wide emergency resources and contacts (Red Cross, TCEQ, Alert Systems, etc.).
- CAPCOG EMERGENCY ALERT SYSTEM: 866-484-3264; Web Sign-Up. A free, automated system whereby you can be notified (via phone call, text, or mobile app) by your local emergency response team in the event of emergency situations or critical community alerts. Examples: evacuation notices, bio-terrorism alerts, boil water notices, severe weather and missing child reports.
CRISIS HOTLINES: click Hotlines-Emergencies
WITH OFFICES LOCATED WITHIN THIS COUNTY:
See detailed listings in each city/town in this county. Use the list with city links for this county at the top of this profile page. Or, use the Menu at the top of every page for city links. is the predominate city in this county and is where most such services are located.
TEXAS MASTER NATURALISTS: www.txmn.org. A non-profit organization under the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Program in concert with Texas Parks & Wildlife. Mission is to develop a corps of well-informed volunteers to provide education, outreach, and service dedicated to the beneficial management of natural resources and natural areas within their communities.
Local: Hays County Chapter. Counties served: Hays. http://haysmn.org
WITH OFFICES LOCATED OUTSIDE THIS COUNTY:
AMERICAN RED CROSS, Central Texas Chapter:
2218 Pershing Dr, Austin, TX 78723. www.centex.redcross.org. A humanitarian organization led by volunteers and guided by its Congressional Charter and the fundamental principles of the International Red Cross Movement, that provides relief to victims of disasters and helps people prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies. Serves Burnet, Hays, Llano, Travis & Williamson counties.
ANY BABY CAN OF SAN ANTONIO: 210-227-0170; 217 Howard, San Antonio, TX 78212. www.anybabycansa.org. A non-profit agency that provides direction and guidance for families of children and youth with special needs. All services are provided at no cost, regardless of income, to families who have a child (through age 17) with a chronic illness, disability, developmental delay or health risk. The child must reside in Bexar, Atascosa, Bandera, Blanco, Caldwell, Comal, Edwards, Frio, Gillespie, Gonzales, Guadalupe, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Medina, Real, Uvalde or Wilson County. Local office:
Kerrville: 830-792-4222; 819 Water St, Ste 109, Kerrville, TX 78028. Brenda Heimann, firstname.lastname@example.org
New Braunfels: 800-524-3755; 1040 N Walnut, Ste C2 at Seele Plaza, New Braunfels, TX 78130
CENTRAL TEXAS ASSN OF RESOURCE CONSERVATION & DEVELOPMENT, INC: 512-352-3565. http://centraltexasrcd.presspublisher.org. A non-profit who's mission is to provide support through regional and state-wide education, leadership and coordination in the development, conservation and wise use of human resources. Counties Served: Bexar, Bastrop, Bell, Caldwell, Coryell, Falls, Hays, Limestone, McLennan, Milam, Travis, Williamson
COMMUNITY ACTION, INC. OF CENTRAL TEXAS: http://communityaction.com. Develops opportunities for people and communities to realize their potential. Adult education, Head Start, utility assistance, senior citizens, primary health services, family planning, HIV/AIDS assistance, breast & cervical cancer outreach, prescription assistance, home visiting.
Nearest Local office: 512-392-1161; POB 748, 101 Uhland Rd, Ste 107, San Marcos, TX 78666
TEXAS RIO GRANDE LEGAL AID (TRLA): 1-888-988-9996; 4920 IH-35 N, Frontage Rd, Austin, TX 78751. www.trla.org. A non-profit organization that provides free legal services to eligible low-income residents in 68 counties of SW Texas, including the Hill Country, and also represents migrant and seasonal farm workers. No local permanent offices (except nearby Austin and San Antonio), however visits are made to some cities. Start eligibility application process on web or call for appointment. Counties served: Bandera, Blanco, Burnet, Comal, Edwards, Gillespie, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Llano, Mason, Medina, Real, Travis, Uvalde, Williamson
Note: See chamber, tourism & economic development listings in profile section above.
Note: For Hill Country-wide non-profits, public service and social service organizations, see Hill Country Information
HILL COUNTRY-WIDE UTILITY PROVIDERS:
For Hill Country area utility service providers (electric, gas, water, sewer, trash),
telecom providers (land lines, cellular service, TV, internet), and related services (package delivery, newspaper, etc.), click: Utilities & Telecom
SANDY ROAD GUEST HAUS:
Upscale Western-style Guest House Lodging
in a Beautiful Ranch Setting in the Gorgeous Texas Hill Country
Reservations & Information: 281-300-7177
9242 RR 1320 (Sandy Road), Johnson City, TX 78636
Web: www.SandyRoadGuestHaus.com Email: info@SandyRoadGuestHaus.com
Come Relax & Enjoy!