Cofran's Texas . . .
Hill Country Portal
A Powerful Information Database & Gateway Service for the Texas Hill Country
City Profile For:
"A Simply Charming Place To . ."Population (2015): 35,733COL Index (2008): 80.0
Elevation: 728 ftArea: 19.1 smCounty: Hays
Zip Code: 78640Area Code: 512Time Zone: CST
Coordinates: 29° 59' 21" N, 97° 52' 33" W
Location: NE Hays County, I-35, 21 mi SW of Austin, 53 mi NE of San Antonio
Highways: IH-35, FM-150, CR-136Creeks: PlumRivers: BlancoLakes: Lake Kyle (700 Lehman Rd)
- City Of Kyle: 512-262-1010; 877-262-5953
100 W Center St, Kyle, TX 78640
- Kyle Area Chamber Of Commerce & Visitors Bureau: 512-268-4220
103 S Front St, Kyle, TX 78640. www.kylechamber.org
- Kyle Visitor Center: 100 N Front St, Kyle, in the historic old train depot.
- City Of Kyle Economic Development:
PRINCIPAL BUSINESS: Bedroom community for Austin commuters; tourism. The fifth fastest growing city in Texas.
MAJOR ATTRACTIONS: See full details in Directory below.
- Historic Downtown District (aka Old Town Kyle): Shops, restaurants, historic buildings
- Historic Train Depot: 100 N Front St. Missouri-Pacific RR. Now home to Kyle Visitor Center
- Kyle Auction Oak: Sledge Street, 2 blocks S of Center Street. When Kyle was founded along the railroad line in 1880, this oak was the site of a public auction of town lots. The railway was given 200 acres of land.
- Kyle Hanging Tree: 10 mi S of Kyle on Old Post Rd (CR-136). Cowboys found a dead man hanging here and buried him not far from the trunk of this Live Oak. This grave for the mystery cowboy became the Kyle Cemetery. The tree is near the entrance of the cemetery and is easily recognizable by its shape and its solitary location.
- Katherine Anne Porter Museum: This quaint museum is located in the house where Katherine Anne Porter spent some 10 years of her childhood. The Pulitzer Prize-winning author is probably best known for her novel, "Ship of Fools", published in 1962 and later made into a movie. Museum contains Porter memorabilia and that of other Southwest writers, artists, and poets.
- Claiborne Kyle Log House: In 1850 Claiborne and Lucy Bugg Kyle built this massive log house on a bluff overlooking the Blanco River where they, their 8 children and one adopted son lived. Built of huge cedar logs, the four-pen, linear dog-trot house has four rooms, each about 16-feet square lined up, two on either side of the dog trot. Restored and furnished by the Kyle Log House Commission. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
- Plum Creek Golf Course: 512-262-5555, www.plumcreekgolf.com, public, 18 holes
See full details below and in Golf
- Note Re Old Kyle City Jail: No longer located in Kyle, was moved years ago to Aquarena Springs, San Marcos, and reportedly is not available for touring because of its condition.
Some of the very nearby attractions include:
- Austin: State Capitol; Golf, Museums, Parks, World-class Attractions
- Buda: Historic Downtown District; Cabela's; Jardine's
- Canyon Lake Area: Canyon Lake; Water Recreation; Canyon Lake Gorge; Museum, Golf
- Gruene: Historic Downtown; River Sports; Greune Hall
- New Braunfels: Alamo Classic Car Museum; Barbershop Museum; Clear Springs Aviaries & Zoological Gardens; Dry Comal Creek Vineyards; Fire Museum; Golf; Heritage Village; Historic Gruene; Lindheimer House; Mckenna Children's Museum; Museum Of Art And Music; Natural Bridge Caverns; Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch; New Braunfels Conservation Society; Parks; Railroad Museum; River Tubing; Schlitterbahn Waterpark; Shopping Outlet Malls; Snake Farm; Sophienburg Museum
- San Marcos: Aquarena Springs; Belvin Street District; Historic City Hall And Fire Station; Commemorative Air Force Central Texas Wing; Shopping Outlet Malls; Golf; River Tubing; National Fish Hatchery; Scenic Drives; Texas State University; Wittliff Gallery; Wonder World Park; Many Recreational Parks
- Wimberley: Bella Vista Olive Ranch; Corral Theatre; Emily Ann Theatre; Hunters Chase Farms; Jacob's Well; Central Texas Bonsai Exhibit/Jade Gardens; Old Baldy; Golf; Wimberley Glass Works; Lavender Farms; Wimberley Players; Wimberley Zipline Adventures
- Canyon Lake Area: Canyon Park; Canyon Beach Park; Comal Park; Cranes Mill Park; Guadalupe Park; North Park; Overlook Park; Potters Creek Park; Jacob's Park
- Steeplechase Park: 295 Hallie Dr; playscape, pavilion, disc golf, beach volley ball, trails, sport fields; city owned
- Waterleaf Park: 600 Abundace Ln; sport fields, playground, disc golf, waterleaf, 92 acres; city owned.
- Gregg-Clarke Park: 1300 W Center St; 32 acres, sport fields courts, playscape, pavilion, pool; city owned. Facebook
- City Square Park: 101 S Burleson St, Downtown; 1 acre, gazebo, old city hall building/hall, water fountain; city owned. Facebook
- Five Mile Dam Park: S Old Stagecoach Rd, Kyle, TX 78640. Includes: Dudley Connaly Johnson Park; Randall Wade Vetter Park; and the County Soccer Complex. Contact: 512-787-7340
- Jan: Polar Bear Splash (New Years Day)
- Mar: Easter Egg-Stravaganza
- Apr: Annual Kyle Earth Day Share Fair; Pitch-Hit-Run Competition; Outdoor Family Campout
- May: Plum Creek Front Porch Days
- Jul: 4th Celebration
- Sep: Movies-In-The-Park; Chamber Classic Golf Tournament; St. Anthony's Annual Fiesta; Claiborne Kyle Log House Chicken Dinner (4th Sat)
- Oct: Fair & Music Festival (3rd WE); Kyle-O-Meter 5K (3rd WE); Halloween Carnival
- Nov: Dia De Los Muertos Festival (1st WE); Family Fun Bike Ride
- Dec: Santa's Arrival & Tree Lighting
WEATHER: Local Weather; Hill Country-wide Weather
MEDIA COVERAGE: See full details in Directory below.
- On-Line News: Google News; Topix
- Newspapers: Hays Free Press, www.haysfreepress.com, serves Buda, Kyle, N Hays County; Kyle-Buda Eagle, Web, serves Buda, Kyle; San Marcos Mercury, Web
- Radio/TV, Articles & Videos:
HISTORY: Handbook of Texas Online: "At its site the Balcones Escarpment meets the blackland prairie; to the east there is farming and to the west, ranching. The town was established on July 24, 1880, when David E. Moore and Fergus Kyle (for whom the town was named) deeded 200 acres for a townsite to the International-Great Northern Railroad. The new town drew residents and businesses from Mountain City, three miles west, and Blanco, four miles west. Tom Martin operated the first business in Kyle. The community's population exceeded 500 by 1882 but later declined. Kyle was incorporated in 1928 as a general-law city with a mayor and five council members. In 1937 Mary Kyle Hartson, daughter of Fergus Kyle, was elected mayor by a write-in vote. In the early 1940s Kyle was noted as the only Texas town with an all-woman government. In the 1980s the community was served by the Hays Consolidated Independent School District. The Mary Lee Foundation School, at a seventy-three-acre site north of Kyle, educated multi-handicapped students. Kyle, located in the developing region between Austin and San Antonio, opened five new residential subdivisions in 1984-85, though three of these went bankrupt during the economic slump of the late 1980s. In 1989 a prerelease prison facility, classified as "minimal to medium" security, opened in Kyle; it housed prisoners in the last two years of incarceration who were being prepared for reentry into society. In the early 1990s Kyle reported a population of 2,256, with seventy-nine businesses. In 1992 the town had a library, a post office, a newspaper, a medical clinic, a strip shopping center, two banks, three grocery stores, and four churches. The town has been home to San Jacinto hero John Wheeler Bunton, Ambassador Edwin J. Kyle, Rhodes scholar Terrell Sledge, American League baseball pitcher C. C. "Tex" Hughson, historian Milton Nance, and authors Katherine Anne Porter and Lena Elithe Hamilton Kirkland."
PRIOR CITY NAMES: None
HISTORICAL MARKERS: See Attractions above.
- Claiborne Kyle Log House
- Cora Jackman Donalson House: At 200 S Sledge St, listed by National Register of Historic Places and by the Texas Historical Commission as a Texas Historical Landmark with a Texas Historical Marker. Built in 1913, restored, though not open to the public at this time.
- Kyle Cemetery: 1853
OTHER PROFILES: City Data; ePodunk; Texas Escapes; Travel Texas; Wikipedia
We welcome inquiries, comments and submission of updates, additions, corrections
& digital photos, without compensation. Send to:
BUSINESS & ORGANIZATION DIRECTORY
TRULY TEXAN: 512-268-3093; Kyle, TX 78640. www.trulytexan.comJuried directory of creative Texas artists, artisans, craftsmen, jewelry designers & companies
AMM COLLISION CENTER: 512-262-1013; 21681 IH-35, Kyle, TX 78640. www.ammcollision.com
COWBOY POLARIS OF KYLE: 512-268-6999; 5 Brent Blvd, Ste 150, Kyle, TX 78640
KENT POWERSPORTS OF AUSTIN: 512-268-8609; 21015 IH-35, Kyle, TX 78640. www.kps-austin-honda.com. Honda
O'REILLY AUTO PARTS: 512-256-0666; 22387 IH-35, Kyle, TX 78640. www.oreillyauto.com
BANK OF AMERICA: 512-504-7261; Kyle Crossing, 5207 Kyle Center Dr, Kyle, TX 78640. www.bankofamerica.com
GREATER TEXAS FEDERAL CREDIT UNION: 512-268-2009; 5433 Kyle Center Dr, Kyle, TX 78640. www.gtfcu.org
KYLE BANKING CENTER: 512-268-4444; 800 FM-150 W, Kyle, TX 78640. www.firstlockhart.com
(THE) CONNECTION CHURCH: 1235 S Loop 4, Kyle, TX 78640
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF KYLE: 512-268-3511; 400 W Center St, Kyle, TX 78640. A non-profit food pantry (partner with Central Texas Food Bank).
KYLE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH: 408 W Lockhart St, Kyle TX 78640
ST. ANTHONY'S CATHOLIC CHURCH: 512-392-8300; 801 N Burleson, Kyle, TX 78640. Hays County Food Bank, www.haysfoodbank.org, a non-profit food pantry (partner with Central Texas Food Bank).
WORD OF LIFE: 512-392-8300; 400 Old Post Rd, Kyle, TX 78640. Hays County Food Bank, a non-profit food pantry (partner with Central Texas Food Bank). http://haysfoodbank.org/get-help/food-distribution-schedule
(Police, Fire, EMS/Medical)
CRIME STOPPERS-REPORT ANONYMOUSLY: 1-800-222-8477; or click: Stoppers
EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES (EMS): Kyle, TX 78640
SAN MARCOS/HAYS COUNTY EMS: 512-353-5115; 1305 IH-35 N, San Marcos, TX 78667. www.smhcems.com. Serves San Marcos, Kyle, Mountain City, Hays, Dripping Springs, Henly, Driftwood, Uhland and Niederwald, most of Hays County and portions of Guadalupe County.
KYLE POLICE DEPARTMENT: 512-262-3232; Kyle, TX 78640. Kyle Police Department
KYLE VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT: Admin: 512-268-3131; 210 W Moore St, Kyle, TX 78640-5683. www.kylefire.com
- Station 2: 150 Bunton Creek Rd, Kyle, TX 78640-5756
- Station 3: 100 High Rd, Kyle, TX 78640-4700
CRISIS HOTLINES: click Hotlines-Emergencies
PLUM CREEK GOLF COURSE: 512-262-5555; 750 Kohlers Crossing Rd, Kyle, TX 78640. www.plumcreekgolf.com. Public, 18 holes, 7132 yds, par 72
LOCAL CITY GOVERNMENT:
KYLE, CITY OF: 512-262-1010; 877-262-5953; 100 W Center St, Kyle, TX 78640. www.cityofkyle.com
- ADMINISTRATION: 512-262-3920
- ANIMAL CONTROL: 512-268-8800
- BUILDING & PERMITS: 512-262-3911
- CITY HALL: 512-262-1010
- CODE ENFORCEMENT: 512-262-3914
- COMMUNICATIONS: 512-262-3921
- COMMUNITY LIBRARY: 512-268-7411; 409 W Blanco St, Kyle, TX 78640. www.kylelibrary.com
- ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT: 512-262-3926, POB 40, 100 W Center St (corner of Front St & Center St), Kyle, TX 78640. www.kyleed.com
- FINANCE: 512-262-3952
- HUMAN RESOURCES: 512-262-3928
- INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY: 512-262-3929
- MUNICIPAL COURT: 512-262-3940 OR 512-262-3941
- PARKS/POOL: 512-262-3939; Kyle, TX 78640
- PLANNING: 512-262-3925
- VETERANS COURT: www.co.hays.tx.us/veterans-court.aspx
HAYS COUNTY APPRAISAL DISTRICT: 512-268-2522; Kyle, TX 78640. Web
STATE & FEDERAL GOVERNMENT: For offices that represent the Hill Country,
see: Texas & Federal Government Offices
TEXAS DEPT OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE - KYLE UNIT: 512-268-0079; 23001 IH-35, Kyle, TX 78640. http://tdcj.state.tx.us/unit_directory/ky.html. State prison
TEXAS DEPT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES - WOMEN, INFANTS AND CHILDREN (WIC) PROGRAM:
HQ: 800-942-3678; 1100 W 49th St, Austin, TX 78756. www.dshs.state.tx.us/wichd
Nutrition education, breast feeding support and education, WIC foods – infant formula, milk, cereal, cheese, peanut butter, beans, eggs and juice.
Local WIC clinic: 512-268-0003; 150 W Lockhart St, Kyle, TX 78640
US POSTAL SERVICE (USPS): 800-275-8777; www.usps.com
Local post office: 512-268-5541; 555 Rebel Rd, Kyle, TX 78640-9998
MAINTENANCE, REPAIR SERVICES & SUPPLIES
CITY ELECTRIC SUPPLY: 512-268-6714; 23703 IH-35, Kyle, TX 78640. https://cityelectricsupply.com
GREEN STEAM: 512-999-8200; Kyle, TX 78640. http://greenwimberley.com
(THE) HOME DEPOT: 512-295-8170; 3730 Dry Hole Dr, CR 210, Kyle, TX 78640. www.homedepot.com
KYLES CABINETS: 512-289-8441; Kyle, TX 78640. Facebook
LAUREN CONCRETE: 512-389-2113; 186 Old Post Rd, Kyle, TX 78640. www.laurenconcrete.com
LOWE'S: 512-268-3240; 5753 Kyle Pkwy, Kyle, TX 78640. www.lowes.com
PRO QUALITY WATER SYSTEMS: 512-618-1334; Kyle, TX 78640. http://hstrial-proqualitywaters.homestead.com
TEXAS LANDSCAPING - Weigelt Enterprise: 512-845-9902; 140 Krikhams Cr, Kyle, TX 78640
DAY & SEASON HUNTING OPPORTUNITIES:
See full list of leases for this town at: Hunting & Fishing.
(THE) INN ABOVE ONION CREEK: 512-268-1617; 4444 FM-150 W, Kyle, TX 78640. www.innaboveonioncreek.com
HAMPTON INN: 512-268-9042; 151 Bunton Creed Rd, Kyle, TX 78640. http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/texas/hampton-inn-kyle-AUSKYHX
LA QUINTA INN & SUITES-KYLE: 512-295-5599; 18869 IH-35 N, Kyle, TX 78640. www.6164.lq.com
(THE) PLANT AT KYLE: 512-689-6777; Kyle, TX 78640. http://theplantatkyle.com
(THE) SAGE HILL INN-ABOVE ONION CREEK: 512-268-1617; 4444 FM-150, Kyle, TX 78640. www.sagehill.com
(THE) WINFIELD INN: 512-268-1420; 900 Scott St, Kyle, TX 78640
AUSTIN EAR, NOSE & THROAT CLINIC: 512-212-4150; 211 Elmhurst, Ste E, Kyle, TX 78640
BARRIO COMPREHENSIVE FAMILY HEALTH CARE CENTER, INC: 210-233-7000; 2810 Dacy Ln, Kyle TX 78640. www.communicaresa.org. Affordable Health Care Act Application Assistance
BROWNING FAMILY CHIROPRACTIC AND WELLNESS: 184 A Kirkham Cr, Kyle, TX 78640
CORRIDOR PRIMARY CARE PEDIATRICS: 4221 Benner Rd; Kyle, TX 78640
EVANS DERMATOLOGY: 512-280-3939; 20871 IH-35 N, Ste 200, Kyle, TX 78640. www.evans-dermatology.com
HAYS HEALTH CLINIC: 512-268-1270; Kyle, TX 78640. Web
HEALTH CARE: 512-268-1270; Kyle, TX 78640
HILL COUNTRY MENTAL HEALTH & DEVELOPMENT DISABILITIES (HCMHDD) CENTERS: Crisis Hotline: 877-466-0660; Admin HQ Phone: 830-792-3300; Administrative Headquarters, 819 Water St, Ste 300, Kerrville, TX 78028. http://hillcountry.org. Providing mental health, individual developmental disability, substance abuse, and early childhood intervention services throughout the greater Texas Hill Country, as designated by Texas Dept of State Health Services. Scope of services includes: psychiatric consultation, trauma therapy, veterans services, co-occurring psychiatric and substance use disorders, youth crisis respite, family partner services, peer service, community education, and IDD behavior support. Also includes select programs for a few counties. Counties served: Bandera, Blanco, Comal, Edwards, Gillespie, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Kinney, Llano, Mason, Medina, Menard, Real, Schleicher, Sutton, Uvalde, Val Verde
- KYLE HOMESPUN: 512-268-1204; 105 Rebel Dr; Kyle, TX 78640
- KYLE MH CLINIC: 512-392-8953; 844-327-1274; 1300 Dacy Ln; Kyle, TX 78640
KOHLERS CROSSING DENTAL: 4221 Benner Rd; Kyle, TX 78640
KYLE ER: 512-504-9950; 5615 Kyle Center Dr, Kyle, TX 78640. http://kyleer.com
SETON MEDICAL CENTER-HAYS: 512-504-5000; 6001 Kyle Parkway, Kyle, TX 78640. Web
(MELISSA) ALEXANDER, SENIOR WINE CONSULTANT: 512-216-8999; Kyle, TX 78640. www.wineshopathome.com/MelissaAlexander
BUNDLE OF STITCHES: 512-262.7567; 4196 Mather, Kyle, TX 78640. www.bundleofstitches.biz
CENTRAL TEXAS SPEEDWAY: Closed
CHERRY BLOSSOM MASSAGE THERAPY CENTER: 830-330-0778; 575 FM-150 E, Ste J, I-35 S at Kyle Pkwy, Kyle, TX 78640. www.cowboypolarisaustin.com
COUNTY LINE POLO CLUB: 2324 FM-150 E, Kyle, TX 78640
CROSS PLANTS AND PRODUCE: 512-262-7513; 705 N Old Hwy 81, Kyle, TX 78640. www.crossplantsandproduce.com. Plant Nursery
D&S COMMUNITY SERVICES: 512-504-9590; 121 Hall Professional Cr, Ste A, Kyle, TX 78640. www.dscommunity.com. Opening the door for living choices that promote independence and self-determination for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities, through a State Medicaid Waiver program.
DOLLAR GENERAL: www.dollargeneral.com
- 512-268-6871; 500 Rebel Dr, Kyle, TX 78640
- 512-268-5908; 801 FM-150 E, Kyle, TX 78640
DMC PHOTOGRAPHY: 512-787-1938; POB 1653, Kyle, TX 78640. www.dmcimages.com
ELITE BODYWORKS: 512-850-8453; 4100 Everett St, Ste 200, Kyle, TX 78640. www.elitemedfit.com
EVO ENTERTAINMENT: 3200 Kyle Crossing, Kyle, TX 78640
EXPLOREUSA: 844-334-3090; 21320 IH-35 S, Kyle, TX 78640. www.exploreusa.com
FARMERS INSURANCE: 512-268-1234; 101 N Sledge St, Kyle, TX 78640. www.farmersagent.com/swilliams6. Steve Williams
FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH: 866-693-3927; 430 Indian Hills Trail, Kyle, TX 78640. www.kylespa.com. Day Spa
HAYS FREE PRESS: 512-268-7862, 113 W Center St, Kyle, TX 78640. www.haysfreepress.com. Newspaper, serves Buda, Kyle, N Hays County
HEB PLUS: Kyle, TX 78640. www.heb.com
HOLT FARMS: 512-217-6543; 88 S Camino Real, Kyle, TX 78640
HOPE & LOVE 4 KIDS: 512-585-1726; Kyle, TX 78640
JAMIE'S CLASSY CLOSET: 5500 FM-2770, Ste 106, Kyle, TX 78640. Facebook. Women;s clothing
(THE) JUMPY PLACE: 512-262-1600; 241 Weldon Johnston Way, Kyle, TX 78640. www.thejumpyplacetx.com. Children's activity place
K & J WOODWORKS: Kyle, TX 78640. www.kjwoodworks.com
KYLE-BUDA EAGLE: Web. Newspaper, serves Buda, Kyle
KYLE RV AND BOAT STORAGE: 210-415-0766; Kyle, TX 78640
KYLE QUILTERS: 512-449-6565; Kyle, TX 78640
LORI RAGLAND PERFORMANCE HORSES: 512-295-4714; 124 Sunrise Dr, Kyle, TX 78640. www.lrph.com. Performance horse lessons, shows, camps, horses for sale
MOBILE DESTINATION, VERIZON PREMIUM RETAILER: 512-667-8476; 151 Evans Dr, Ste 107, Kyle, TX 78640
MONEY & MORE PAWN: 512-262-0285; 575 FM-150 E, Kyle, TX 78640
MY LIL SPROUTS KIDS CONSIGNMENT BOUTIQUE: 512-262-7863; 147 Elmhurst, Ste 600, Kyle, TX 78640. www.mylilsproutskidsconsignment.com
NSBRAND PRODUCTIONS: 713-859-8388; Kyle, TX 78640. Media presence service
OLD TOWNE VAPOR: 512-787-0144; 400 Hwy 81 S, Ste A-2, Kyle, TX 78640. www.oldtownevapor.com
ON TRACK XPERIENCE: 512-828-6478; 24801 IH 35, Kyle, TX 78640. www.ontrackxperience.com. At Thunderhill Raceway. Xperience real side-by-side oval racing using their race prepared Honda-powered karts known at Naskarts. Competitive leagues.
OPTIMUM STEEL FABRICATORS: Kyle, TX 78640. www.optimumsteel.com
ORMEIDA CABINS: 210-445-5600; 23615 IH-35, Kyle, TX 78640. www.cabinsbyormeida.com. Rent to own cabins
PAST PRESENT FOREVER: 512-643-7342; 120 Orion Cove, Kyle, TX 78640. http://www.pastpresentforever.com. Photography
(THE) PLANT AT KYLE: 512-689-6777; Kyle, TX 78640. www.theplantatkyle.com
PLANT ODYSSEY: 512-398-2714; 7101 Niederwald Strasse, Kyle, TX 78640. Plant nursery
RUSTY WALLACE RACING EXPERIENCE: 855-22-RUSTY; 24801 IH-35, Kyle, TX 78640. www.racewithrusty.com. At Thunderhill Raceway. Rusty Wallace Racing Experience provides fans and racing enthusiasts with an authentic NASCAR racing experience. Drive a real, current stock car with a real NASCAR champion.
(THE) SAGE HILL INN SPA-ABOVE ONION CREEK: 512-268-1617; 4444 FM-150, Kyle, TX 78640. www.sagehill.com
SAN MARCOS MERCURY: News. See San Marcos
TEXAS OLD TOWN: 512-396-1800; 1205 Roland Ln, Kyle, TX 78640. Weddings, receptions, corporate events, retreats. www.TexasOldTown.com
UNIVERSAL FOREST PRODUCTS: Kyle, TX 78640. www.ufpi.com
WILSON INSURANCE AGENCY: 512-295-6530; 3601 Kyle Crossing, Ste A, Kyle, TX 78640. https://wilsoninsuranceagency.com. Auto Insurance Agency
KATHERINE ANNE PORTER MUSEUM: 512-268-6637; 508 W Center St, Kyle, TX 78640. This quaint museum is located in the house where Katherine Anne Porter spent some 10 years of her childhood. The Pulitzer Prize-winning author is probably best known for her novel, "Ship of Fools", published in 1962 and later made into a movie. Museum contains Porter memorabilia and that of other Southwest writers, artists, and poets. Open Tue-Fri 1-6p, Sat 9a-5p. www.english.txstate.edu/KAP
AMVETS (American Veterans): www.amvets.org. A non-profit whose mission is to enhance and safeguard the entitlements for all American Veterans who have served honorably and to improve the quality of life for them, their families, and the communities where they live through leadership, advocacy and services.
Local: Post #115, 512-262-0350; 401 Rebel Dr, Kyle, TX 78640. David Lyle, 512-753-9364, firstname.lastname@example.org
BOY SCOUTS: www.scouting.org. A non-profit organization that provides a program for young people that builds character, trains them in the responsibilities of participating citizenship, and develops personal fitness.
Local: Kyle Boy Scouts, 512-944-7697; Kyle, TX 78640
BOYS AND GIRLS CLUB: www.bgc.com. Inspiring and enabling all young people to realize their full potential as productive, responsible, and caring citizens. Tutoring, professional services, sports & recreation.
Local: Boys And Girls Club Of South Central Texas, 512-805-3000; Kyle, TX 78640
CLAIBORNE KYLE LOG HOUSE: 512-268-9981; 2400 S Old Stagecoach Rd, on CR-136, SW of Kyle. In 1850 Claiborne and Lucy Bugg Kyle built this massive log house on a bluff overlooking the Blanco River where they, their 8 children and one adopted son lived. Built of huge cedar logs, the four-pen, linear dog-trot house has four rooms, each about 16-feet square lined up, two on either side of the dog trot. Restored and furnished by the Kyle Log House Commission. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Open first Sun, Apr-Aug, 2-5p
GARDEN CLUB: 512-405-0172; Kyle, TX 78640
GIRL SCOUTS: www.girlscouts.org. A non-profit organization that provides a program for young people that builds character, trains them in the responsibilities of participating citizenship, and develops personal fitness.
Local Girl Scout Troop: 512-268-6381; Kyle, TX 78640
HAYS YOUTH ORGANIZATIONS: 512-312-0756; Kyle, TX 78640
KATHERINE ANNE PORTER HOUSE LITERACY CENTER: 508 Center St, Kyle, TX 78640
KYLE AREA SENIORS ZONE: 512-268-1631; Kyle, TX 78640
KYLE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE & VISITORS BUREAU: 512-268-4220; POB 900, 401 Center St, Kyle, TX 78640. www.kylechamber.org
KYLE QUILTERS: 512-449-6565; Kyle, TX 78640
KYLE VISITOR CENTER: 100 N Front St, Kyle, TX 78640. In the historic old train depot. Open Mon-Fri 9a-4p
LIONS CLUB: www.lionsclubs.org. A volunteer-based, non-profit, community service organization that aggressively works to donate back to the community to support local, regional, national and international needs. Mission is to empower volunteers to serve their communities, meet humanitarian needs, encourage peace and promote international understanding through Lions clubs.
Local: Kyle Lions Club, 512-268-2021; Kyle, TX 78640
MASONIC LODGE: Web. A fraternal organization that promotes Freemasonry, which includes charitable work within a local or wider community, moral uprightness, and friendship.
Local: Kyle Masonic Lodge, 512-392-2120; Kyle, TX 78640
OPTIMIST INTERNATIONAL: www.optimist.org. A worldwide voluntary non-profit organization of civic-minded men and women banded together to serve the youth of the community, encourage personal growth and adopt optimism as a philosophy of life.
Local: Optimist Club
PLUM CREEK HOA: 512-569-5109; Kyle, TX 78640. Web, Facebook. Unofficial reports by board members
POLO KIDS FOUNDATION: 2324 FM-150, Kyle, TX 78640. www.polokids.com. A 501c3 nonprofit organization providing community-based youth development programs that promote learning through constructive activities centered around horsemanship, equine sports and education.
ROTARY CLUB: www.rotary.org. Rotary is a worldwide organization of business, professional, and community leaders. Members of Rotary clubs, known as Rotarians, provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world.
Local: Kyle, 512-633-2664; 409 W Blanco St, Kyle, TX 78640
TOASTMASTERS INTERNATIONAL: 949-858-8255. www.toastmasters.org. A nonprofit educational organization that operates clubs worldwide for the purpose of helping members improve their communication, public speaking, and leadership.
Local: Rise 'N Shine, Meets Wed (except holidays) 7a, at Austin Community College - Hays Campus, Rm 1132.04, 1200 Kohlers Crossing, Kyle. http://risenshine.toastmastersclubs.org
VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS (VFW): www.vfw.org. A congressionally chartered organization that works on behalf of American veterans by lobbying Congress for better veterans' health care and benefits; and maintains a nationwide organization of employees and volunteers to assist veterans with their VA disability claims; and donates millions of dollars and hours for community service.
Local: VFW Post: #12058, 12058 Kyle/Buda Post, 512-913-6619; 103 S Front St, Kyle, TX 78640. www.vfw12058.com. Meets 2nd Thurs 7p
Note: Churches, museums, schools and some other non-profits are listed on this page in their own separate category.
Note: For county-wide non-profits, public service & social service organizations, see: Hays County
Note: For Hill Country-wide non-profits, public service and social service organizations, see Hill Country Information
CITY OF KYLE ANIMAL CONTROL: 512-268-8800; 500 FM-150 E, Kyle, TX 78640. www.cityofkyle.com/police/animal-control
DOGS DAY AWAY: 512-294-6757; 401 Bonanza St, Kyle, TX 78640. http://dogsdayawaytx.com. Boarding, grooming
FIREHOUSE ANIMAL HEALTH CENTER: 4100 Everett St, Ste 100, Kyle, TX 78620. www.firehousekyle.com
KYLE ANIMAL HOSPITAL: 512-268-5003; 100 Hall Professional Center, Kyle, TX 78640. www.kylevet.com
LUCKY TO BE AT HOME PET CARE: 512-619-6873; POB 1534, Kyle, TX 78640. http://luckytobeathome.com. Pet Sitter
MA'S MINI PIGS' FARM & RESCUE INC: 408-824-4514; Kyle, TX 78640. www.masminipigs.com
PAWS ANIMAL SHELTER & HUMANE SOCIETY (OF CENTRAL TEXAS): 512-268-1611; 500 FM-150 E, Kyle, TX 78620. http://pawsshelter.org, Facebook. Non-profitNo-kill facility. Adoptions. Tue 11-6, Wed-Sun 11-5, Or by apmt. Cathy Turney
PETCO ANIMAL SUPPLIES: 512-268-7428; 5100 Kyle Centre Dr, Kyle, TX 78640. http://stores.petco.com/tx/kyle/pet-supplies-kyle-tx-2402.html
PLUM CREEK VETERINARY HOSPITAL: 512-268-7387; 4100 Everett, Ste 100, Kyle, TX 78620. Facebook
TEXAS GREAT PYRENEES RESCUE: 877-746-9508; 713 Apricot Dr, Kyle, TX 78640. www.txpyrs.org. A non-profit organization dedicated to the protection and rescue of Great Pyrenees in Texas and surrounding areas.
Note: See separate listing sections for horses, riding, equestrian, and other care.
ERA MILLENNIUM REALTY: 512-262-1549; 505 W Center St, Kyle, TX 78640
GOODWIN REALTORS: 512-626-0434; Kyle, TX 78640. www.jbgoodwin.com/agents/claudia-mccomack
GREAT LOCATIONS REALTY: 512-535-4483; 150 Rebel Dr, Kyle, TX 78640
ON CENTER STREET OF EXECUTIVE: 512-262-4297; 309 Center St, Kyle, TX 78640
APPLEBEE'S: 512-268-2362; 5363 Kyle Center Dr, Kyle, TX 78640. www.applebees.com.
BIG ROB'S BURGERS IN KYLE: 512--262-0332; 130 Kirkham Cr, Kyle, TX 78640. www..com
BORDEAUX'S: 512-268-3463; 108 Center St, Kyle, TX 78640. www.bordeauxs.net
CHICK-FIL-A: 5289 Kyle Center Dr, Kyle, TX 78640
CHICKEN EXPRESS: 512-262-7831; 5493 Kyle Center Dr, Kyle, TX 78640. www.chickene.com
DICKEY'S BARBECUE PIT: 512-268-3200; 5695 Kyle Pkwy, Kyle, TX 78640. Web
DOWN SOUTH RAILHOUSE: 107 E Center St, Kyle, TX 78640. www.downsouthrailhouse.com
FOXS PIZZA DEN SOUTH TEXAS: 512-268-3697; 147 Elmhurst, Kyle, TX 78640. www.foxspizzadentexas.com
GARCIA'S512-268-2524; Kyle, TX 78640
LONE STAR DELIGHTS: 817-905-8327; 108 S Front St, Kyle, TX 78640. www.lonestardelights.com
LUCKY CUP COFFEE HOUSE: Closed
MOD PIZZA: 512-268-0319; 151 Evans Dr, Ste 105, Kyle, TX 78640. http://modpizza.com/locations/kyle-crossing
(THE) MOTLEY MENAGERIE: 512-268-4188; 602 W Center St, Kyle, TX 78640. www.themotleymenagerie.com.
NEW WORLD BAKERY: Kyle, TX 78640. http://thenewworldbakery.com
PAPA MURPHY'S PIZZA: 512-268-1682; 5401 S FM 1626, Kyle, TX 78640. www.papamurphys.com
PIZZA CLASSICS KYLE: 512-268-1979; 118 S Front St, Kyle, TX 78640. www.pizzaclassicskyle.com
RAILROAD BAR-B-QUE: 512-262-4641; 107 E Center St, Kyle, TX 78640. http://rrbbq.com
RV SALES, SERVICES & PARTS:
EXPLOREUSA: 512-262-2777; 21320 IH-35, Kyle, TX 78640. www.exploreusa.com
RV LAND: 512-234-6978; 23401 IH-35 X210, Kyle, TX 78640. www.rvlandtx.com
AUSTIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (ACC): 512-262-6500; 1200 Kohlers Crossing, Kyle, TX 78640. www.austincc.edu/locations/campuses/hays-campus
HAYS CISD: 512-268-2141; Kyle, TX 78640. www.hayscisd.net. "Rebels"
- Hays High School: Web
- Lehman High School: 1700 Lehman Rd, Kyle, TX 78640. Web. UIL: Conf 6A
- Performing Arts Center: 512-268-8443; 979 Kohler's Krossing, Kyle, TX 78640
- Barton Middle School: 4950 Jack C Hays Trail, Kyle, TX 78610
- Chapa Middle School: 3311 Dacy Lane, Kyle, TX 78640
- Wallace Middle School: 1500 West Center, Kyle, TX 78640
- Fuentes Elementary School: 512-268-7827; 901 Goforth, Kyle, TX 78640
- Hemphill Elementary School: 512-268-4688; 3995 FM-150 E, Kyle, TX 78640
- Kyle Elementary School: 512-268-3311; 500 W Blanco, Kyle, TX 78640
- Negley Elementary School: 512-268-8501; 5940 McNaughton, Kyle, TX 78640
- Science Hall Elementary School: 512-268-8502; 1510 Bebee Rd, Kyle, TX 78640
- Tobias Elementary School: 512-268-8437; 1005 FM-150 E, Kyle, TX 78640
- FIRST STEPS EARLY HEAD START CENTER: 512-268-2480; 3995 FM-150 E, Kyle, TX 78640
- HEMPHILL HEAD START CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTER: 512-268-5305; 3995 FM-150 E, Kyle, TX 78640
- LEHMAN HIGH SCHOOL PEP CENTER: 512-268-8454; 1700 Lehman Rd, Kyle, TX 78640
SANTA CRUZ CATHOLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: www.santacruzcc.org/school
TEXAS PREPARATORY CHARTER SCHOOL: www.bgca.us
LOCAL UTILITY PROVIDERS:
CENTERPOINT ENERGY: HQ: 800-427-7142; Report a Gas Leak: 888-876-5786. www.centerpointenergy.com. Electrical and piped natural gas services. Service area from Austin to San Antonio along IH-35 in the Hill Country (and beyond, SE to the Gulf Coast). Service Coverage Map.
Local service office: 512-392-6672, Kyle, TX 78640
CITY OF KYLE PUBLIC WORKS: 512-262-3024; (AFTER HOURS EMERGENCY: 512-787-9896)
CITY OF KYLE UTILITIES: 512-262-3960; Kyle, TX 78640. www.cityofkyle.com/waterservice.php
PEDERNALES ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE (PEC): www.pec.coop. A Texas non-profit corporation owned by its members, the largest electric cooperative in the country, coves 8,100 square miles, 214,000 members, with assets over $1 billion.
HQ, Connections & Service Startup: 1-888-554-4732
Emergencies, Outages & Marking of Underground Utility Lines, 24x7: 1-888-883-3379
Local service office: 512-262-2161; 1810 FM-150 W, Kyle, TX 78640-0100.
TIME WARNER CABLE: 1-800-418-8848; www.timewarnercable.com
Cable Television, Roadrunner Internet, VOIP
Local Service Office: 512-485-5555; Kyle, TX 78640
HILL COUNTRY-WIDE UTILITY PROVIDERS:
For Hill Country area utility service providers (electric, gas, water, sewer, trash),
telecom providers (land lines, cellular service, TV, internet), and related services (package delivery, newspaper, etc.), click: Utilities & Telecom
SANDY ROAD GUEST HAUS:
Upscale Western-style Guest House Lodging
in a Beautiful Ranch Setting in the Gorgeous Texas Hill Country
Reservations & Information: 281-300-7177
9242 RR 1320 (Sandy Road), Johnson City, TX 78636
Web: www.SandyRoadGuestHaus.com Email: info@SandyRoadGuestHaus.com
Come Relax & Enjoy!