COFRAN'S PC &
- - -
Tech Support &
Call-In Help Desk
PC slowed down?
We can tune it up!
** PC Repairs **
BSEE, MBA, xCPA
Veteran, Tech Officer
Cofran's Texas . . .
Hill Country Portal
A Powerful Information Database & Gateway Service for the Texas Hill Country
County Profile For:
EDWARDS COUNTY, Texas
"no slogan"County Seat: RockspringsEst: 1858
County Borders: NE: Kimble; NE: Kerr; E: Real; SE: Uvalde;
S: Kinney; W: Val Verde; NW: Sutton
Population (2016): 1911Businesses (2015): 38COL Index (2008): 76.7
Zip Codes: 78880, 78828Area Codes: 830Time Zone: CST
Center Line Coordinates: 29° 45' N, 100° 16' W
Major Highways: US-337, TX-55, TX-41
Area: 2,118 smElevation: 1500 to 2410 ft
CITIES & TOWNS IN THIS COUNTY: Definition & Maps
- County Judge: Souli A. Shanklin, 830-683-6122
400 W Main, POB 348, Rocksprings, TX 78880
- County Courthouse: Photos
- Middle Rio Grande Development Council (of Governments):
Executive Director: Leodoro Martinez, Jr
Ofc: 830-876-3533; Fax: 830-876-9415
POB 1199, Carrizo Springs, TX 78834-1199
- Edwards County Chamber Of Commerce
POB 267, 109 S Sweeten St, Rocksprings, TX 78880
Web: rangelrachel3.wixsite.com/eccoc; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Facebook
- Economic Development Corp: 830-683-1682
Rocksprings, TX, 78880
EVENT CALENDAR: For full details on these and nearby events see Festivals & Major Events, Trade Days & Farmers Markets, Live Entertainment, and calendars on our other focus topic pages accessible from the menu above.
WEATHER: Local Weather (Rocksprings); Hill Country-wide Weather
MEDIA COVERAGE: See full details in Directory below.
- On-Line News: Google News; Topix
- Newspapers: Rocksprings Record & Texas Mohair Weekly. 830-683-3130, rockspringsrecord.com
- Radio/TV, Articles & Videos:
- Handbook Of Texas Online: TSHA
- Excerpt from www.rockspringstexas.com: "History: The area now known as Edwards County was explored as early as 1675 by the Spanish. This Hill Country county was created in 1858 from the Bexar District of frontier Texas and named for the Nacodoches empresario, Hayden Edwards. Prolonged Commanche and Apache Indian raids along the Nueces Strip prohibited settlement and formal organizations until 1883. The County's first settlers were a hearty lot of European sheep and goat drovers who found its terrain similar to the highlands of their homeland. Rocksprings became the "Angora goat Capital of the world" when the office of the American Angora Goat Breeders Association was moved there in 1926. Sheep and goat ranching remains the mainstay of the economy. Edwards County ranks #1 in the state in Angora goat and mohair production. The mohair produced here is the finest in the world and highly acclaimed in European markets.
Location: Edwards County is 2,120 square miles of rolling hills, canyons, caves and spring-fed streams. It sits atop the Edwards Plateau with elevations from 1,500 to 2,500 feet above sea level on the headwaters of the Nueces and Llano Rivers. The townsite of Rocksprings was laid out in 1890 and became the county seat in 1891. Rocksprings is located 70 miles northeast of Del Rio and 78 miles west of Kerrville.
Climate: Average annual rainfall is 21.19 inches with a 250 day growing season. The climate is comfortable year round, with January's average low temperature 38 degrees and July's average high 94. Edwards County is located on a mesa at an altitude exceeding 2,500 feet which lends itself to dry, clean air and a constant breeze. The area is noted for its comfortable climate.
Recreation: Abundant deer, turkey, wild boar and exotics in Edwards County provide excellent hunting for sportsmen. Fishing in the many spring fed streams is also very popular with outdoor enthusiasts. some of the nation's most spectacular caves make the area a favorite of spelunkers. Spectacular beauty abounds along the canyon and atop the plateaus of Edwards County. The hills and canyons, highlighted by an abundance of oak and pinon pine trees, provide a natural, breathtaking view."
- County TXGENWEB Project: Genealogical/historical information, including cemeteries, markers, maps, census data, surname queries), TXGenWeb
- Edwards County Historical Commission
- More history: at Portal city profiles in list shown above, including Rocksprings
OTHER PROFILES: City Data; ePodunk; US Census Quick Facts; TXCIP; Wikipedia;
Texas Escapes (not available); Travel Texas (not available)
We welcome inquiries, comments and submission of updates, additions, corrections & digital photos,
without compensation. Send to Editor at:
BUSINESS & ORGANIZATION DIRECTORY
LOCAL LISTINGS: because the City of Rocksprings is the dominant city in Edwards County, please see the Directory Listings at City of Rocksprings
EDWARDS COUNTY, ADULT PROBATION: 325-347-5329; 116 W Main, Brady, TX 76825
EDWARDS COUNTY, AGRICULTURE DEPARTMENT: 830-683-4310; 404 Austin St, Rocksprings, TX 78880
EDWARDS COUNTY, (ROCKSPRINGS) AIRPORT (ECU): 830-683-6122. Publicly owned. Open to the public. Located 4 mi SE of downtown Rocksprings, 78880. No tower. Runway: 4,050 x 50 ft; AirNav; Map
EDWARDS COUNTY, APPRAISAL DISTRICT: 830-683-4189; 101 E Main St, POB 858, Rocksprings, TX 78880. edwardscad.org
EDWARDS COUNTY, ATTORNEY: 830-683-6128; 830-683-6126; 209 W Main, Rocksprings, TX 78880
EDWARDS COUNTY, COMMISSIONER, PCT 1: POB 546, 830-683-7066; Rocksprings, TX 78880
EDWARDS COUNTY, COMMISSIONER, PCT 2: POB 371, 830-234-3160; Camp Wood, TX 78833
EDWARDS COUNTY, COMMISSIONER, PCT 3: POB 593, 830-683-2266; Rocksprings, TX 78880
EDWARDS COUNTY, COMMISSIONER, PCT 4: POB 484, 830-683-7645; Rocksprings, TX 78880
EDWARDS COUNTY, CONSTABLE: 830-683-7222; POB 828, Campwood, TX 78833
EDWARDS COUNTY, COUNTY AGENT: 830-683-4310; Rocksprings, TX 78880
EDWARDS COUNTY, COURT COORDINATOR/ADMINISTRATOR: 325-347-0755, Rocksprings, TX 78880
EDWARDS COUNTY & DISTRICT, CLERK: 830-683-2235; POB 184, 400 Main St, Rocksprings, TX 78880
EDWARDS COUNTY, DISTRICT ATTORNEY, 198th: 325-446-9425; POB 635, Mason, TX 76856
EDWARDS COUNTY, DISTRICT JUDGE, 198th: 325-347-0755; POB 1580, Mason, TX 76856
EDWARDS COUNTY, EMS: 830-683-2315; 830-683-3305; 404 W Austin St, Rocksprings, TX 78880
EDWARDS COUNTY, FAIRGROUNDS: 903 US-337 N, Rocksprings, TX 78880
EDWARDS COUNTY, GAME WARDEN: 210-416-2513; Rocksprings, TX 78880
EDWARDS COUNTY, HISTORICAL COMMISSION: Rocksprings, TX 78880. Facebook
EDWARDS COUNTY, JTPA PROGRAM: 830-683-5248; Rocksprings, TX 78880
EDWARDS COUNTY, JUDGE: Souli A. Shanklin: 830-683-6122; POB 378, 401 Main St, Rocksprings, TX 78880. Web: None
EDWARDS COUNTY, JUSTICE OF THE PEACE: 830-683-5187; 404 W Austin, Rocksprings, TX 78880
EDWARDS COUNTY, JUVENILE PROBATION: 325-597-2753; POB 548, Brady, TX 76825
EDWARDS COUNTY, NUTRITION CENTER: 830-683-5468; 212 W Main St, Rocksprings, TX, 78880
EDWARDS COUNTY, ROAD SUPERVISOR: 830-683-6182/7193; POB 945, Rocksprings, TX 78880
EDWARDS COUNTY, SHERIFF: 830-683-4104; 830-683-5110; 404 W Austin St, Rocksprings, TX 78880. Sheriff Don Edwards
EDWARDS COUNTY, TAX ASSESSOR/COLLECTOR: 830-683-2337; 101 E Main St, Rocksprings, TX 78880
EDWARDS COUNTY, TREASURER: 830-683-5116; 400 Main St, Rocksprings, TX 78880
LOCATED WITHIN THIS COUNTY: See detailed listings in each city/town in this county. Use the list with city links for this county at the top of this profile page. Or, use the Menu at the top of every page for city links. Rocksprings is the predominate city in this county and is where most such services are located.
US POSTAL SERVICE (USPS): 800-275-8777; usps.com.
Local post offices:
- 830-234-3617; 25594 TX-55 S, Barksdale, TX 78828
- 830-683-2143; 102 W Bandera St, Rocksprings, TX 78880-9998
LOCATED OUTSIDE THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY: See State & Federal Offices
(Police, Fire, EMS/Medical)
CRIME STOPPERS-REPORT ANONYMOUSLY: 1-800-222-8477; or click: Stoppers
DISASTER & EMERGENCY SERVICES: Beyond dialing 911 for emergency services (police, fire, rescue), when a major destructive event occurs (wind damage, flooding, explosion, wildland fire, mass casualty incidents, terrorism, etc.), response services are organized based on the disaster coverage area and severity:
- EMERGENCY SHELTERS & LOCAL RELIEF SERVICES MOSTLY WITHIN A CITY: Depending on local needs and incident circumstances, check with local service and information organizations and locations that can be found on the Portal city page for each town/city, per the above Portal menu at the top of each page. On these city pages you can determine their open/close status and scope of services (shelter, showers, food, clothing, financial, essential supplies, other) presently offered, and donations (food, clothing, cash, other) they will accept. Their scope can change quickly based on the extent of damage and needs. The city pages also include emergency contacts for major utilities that are often affected during such incidents, including power, water, communications, etc.
- MULTIPLE CITY OR COUNTY-WIDE INCIDENTS: See County Judge's office for Emergency Management, and Sheriff's Dept above.
- MULTIPLE COUNTY INCIDENTS: See our Portal Focus Topic Page on Emergency Services for comprehensive information on area-wide emergency resources and contacts (Red Cross, TCEQ, Alert Systems, etc.).
CRISIS HOTLINES: click Hotlines-Emergencies
WITH OFFICES LOCATED WITHIN THIS COUNTY:
See detailed listings in each city/town in this county. Use the list with city links for this county at the top of this profile page. Or, use the Menu at the top of every page for city links. is the predominate city in this county and is where most such services are located.
WITH OFFICES LOCATED OUTSIDE THIS COUNTY:
AMERICAN RED CROSS, San Antonio Area Chapter, Del Rio Branch:
830-775-8626; 127 Foster Dr, Del Rio, TX 78840
saredcross.org. A humanitarian organization led by volunteers and guided by its Congressional Charter and the fundamental principles of the International Red Cross Movement, that provides relief to victims of disasters and helps people prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies. Serves Edwards county.
ANY BABY CAN OF SAN ANTONIO: 210-227-0170; 217 Howard, San Antonio, TX 78212. anybabycansa.org. A non-profit agency that provides direction and guidance for families of children and youth with special needs. All services are provided at no cost, regardless of income, to families who have a child (through age 17) with a chronic illness, disability, developmental delay or health risk. The child must reside in Bexar, Atascosa, Bandera, Blanco, Caldwell, Comal, Edwards, Frio, Gillespie, Gonzales, Guadalupe, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Medina, Real, Uvalde or Wilson County. Local office:
Kerrville: 830-792-4222; 819 Water St, Ste 109, Kerrville, TX 78028. Brenda Heimann
New Braunfels: 800-524-3755; 1040 N Walnut, Ste C2 at Seele Plaza, New Braunfels, TX 78130
TEXAS MASTER NATURALISTS: txmn.org. A non-profit organization under the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Program in concert with Texas Parks & Wildlife. Mission is to develop a corps of well-informed volunteers to provide education, outreach, and service dedicated to the beneficial management of natural resources and natural areas within their communities.
Local: Hill Country Chapter, 830-896-2504; 309 Sidney Baker S, Kerrville, TX 78028. Meets 4th Mon 7p at UGRA building. Michelle Haggerty, State Coordinator. Counties served: Counties served: Bandera, Edwards, Gillespie, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Mason, Menard, Real, San Saba. txmn.org/hillcountry
TEXAS RIO GRANDE LEGAL AID (TRLA): 1-888-988-9996; 4920 IH-35 N, Frontage Rd, Austin, TX 78751. trla.org. A non-profit organization that provides free legal services to eligible low-income residents in 68 counties of SW Texas, including the Hill Country, and also represents migrant and seasonal farm workers. No local permanent offices (except nearby Austin and San Antonio), however visits are made to some cities. Start eligibility application process on web or call for appointment. Counties served: Bandera, Blanco, Burnet, Comal, Edwards, Gillespie, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Llano, Mason, Medina, Real, Travis, Uvalde, Williamson
Note: See chamber, tourism & economic development listings in Rocksprings.
Note: For Hill Country-wide non-profits, public service and social service organizations, see Hill Country Information
HILL COUNTRY-WIDE UTILITY PROVIDERS:
For Hill Country area utility service providers (electric, gas, water, sewer, trash),
telecom providers (land lines, cellular service, TV, internet), and related services (package delivery, newspaper, etc.), click: Utilities & Telecom
SANDY ROAD GUEST HAUS:
Upscale Western-style Guest House Lodging
in a Beautiful Ranch Setting in the Gorgeous Texas Hill Country
Reservations & Information: 281-300-7177
9242 RR 1320 (Sandy Road), Johnson City, TX 78636
Web: SandyRoadGuestHaus.com Email: info@SandyRoadGuestHaus.com
Come Relax & Enjoy!
Click for Hill Country:
» FESTIVALS/MAJOR EVENTS
» LIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Affordable Pre-paid Emergency Air Transport Service
Click image for details
Protection starts at $65/yr
Protect Your Computer Files With
of your data.
to get started.