COFRAN'S PC &
- - -
Tech Support &
Call-In Help Desk
PC slowed down?
We can tune it up!
** PC Repairs **
BSEE, MBA, xCPA
Veteran, Tech Officer
Cofran's Texas . . .
Hill Country Portal
A Powerful Information Database & Gateway Service for the Texas Hill Country
City Profile For:
RIO FRIO, Texas
(pronounced "REEH-oh FREE-oh")
"no slogan"Population: 50Elevation: 1,483 ftArea: undefinedCounty: Real
Zip Code: 78879Area Code: 830-232Time Zone: CST
Coordinates: 29° 38' 9.82" N, 99° 44' 12.2" W
Location: SE part of county just above the Uvalde county line,
86 mi NW of San Antonio, 7 mi S of Leakey, 32 mi N of Uvalde
Highways: US-83, RR-1120, RR-2748, FM-1050Creeks: Rivers: Frio,Lakes:
Quick Link To: Directory Listings In This Town
CHAMBER & TOURISM:
- Frio Canyon Chamber Of Commerce: Ofc: 830-232-5222; POB 743, Leakey, TX 78873. friocanyonchamber.com; email@example.com
- Frio River Canyon Region: Fun river-centered activities on the Frio River near Concan, Rio Frio, and Leakey and near Garner State Park. funrivers.com
- Hill Country River Region: 830-591-1065; Concan, TX 78838. hillcountryrivers.com. Fun activities in the Sabinal Canyon, Rio Frio Canyon and Nueces Canyon, near Concan, Utopia, Garner State Park and close to the edge of the Hill Country in Uvalde and Sabinal
- Visitors Guide: leakey-tx.com
- Small Town Research Project: Article
FRIO CANYON AREA:
- Frio Canyon Chamber of Commerce: 830-232-5222
POB 743, Leakey, TX 78873
- Frio River Canyon:
Fun river-centered activities on the Frio River near Concan, Rio Frio, and Leakey
and near Garner State Park.
- Texas Hill Country River Region (THCRR): See details at Uvalde.
Serves: Leakey, Concan and Rio Frio area.
NEIGHBORING TOWNS: 12 mi N of Concan, 16 mi W of Utopia, 26 mi SW of Vanderpool
PRINCIPAL BUSINESS: River recreation, ranching
MAJOR ATTRACTIONS: See full details in Directory below.
- Frio River Tubing & Water Sports
- Camping & Hunting
- Landmark Oak Tree: On RR-1120, Rio Frio. The nation's largest Texas Live Oak tree. This ancient live oak is a bearing point from which all land in the town of Rio Frio has been platted since the beginning of this town. See Famous Trees of Texas Profile
- Lombardy Irrigation Ditch: Dug by pioneers to water their crops.
Some of the very nearby attractions include:
- Concan: Frio Bat Cave; Frio River Fun
- Leakey: Wildlife Art Museum; Real County Historical Museum; Frio River Water Recreation; Twisted Sisters Scenic Drives & Motorcycle Routes
- Utopia: Sabinal Canyon Museum; Golf; River Water Recreation
- Vanderpool: Lone Star Motorcycle Museum
- Concan: Frio Bat Cave: See full details below and at: Bats
- Concan: Garner State Park
- Concan: Kyle Park
- Kickapoo: Kickapoo Cavern State Park: Just W Of Camp Wood & Leakey, And Just Outside The Hill Country
- Rocksprings: Devil's Sinkhole & Bat Cave
- Vanderpool: Lost Maples State Natural Area
- Apr: Mohair Style Show
- Jun: Guided Historical Tour, by the Chamber
WEATHER: Local Weather; Hill Country-wide Weather
MEDIA COVERAGE: See full details in Directory below.
- On-Line News: Google News
- Newspapers: Leakey Star Newspaper, 830-232-7827, theleakeystaronline.com. Published bi-weekly
- Radio/TV, Articles & Videos:
HISTORY: Handbook of Texas Online:"It was first settled between 1856 and 1860; many of the settlers had previously resided farther north up the Frio canyon at Leakey. One early settler was Theophilus Watkins, who arrived in 1867. The next year Watkins, F. Smith, and Newman Patterson initiated construction of a gravity-flow irrigation canal which operated for a century. In 1874 these three filed for a charter for the Lombardy Irrigation Company, which was granted the following year, at which time a post office was also established. Cotton, corn, oats, tobacco, and wheat were raised on the small irrigated tracts, whose owners assumed responsibility for the maintenance of the canal with the acquisition of the land. The importance of farming to the region has waned, however, due in large part to the appearance of the boll weevil in the early twentieth century. Farming has been supplanted by ranching, and in particular the raising of Angora goats. The town's cotton gin, the last in Real County, closed before the end of World War I, and Rio Frio resident Bob Davis, a charter member and the first president of the Texas Angora Goat Raisers Association, was extremely influential in the development of the Angora industry in Texas during this period. A school was established at Rio Frio by 1871, and Andrew Jackson Potter preached at the site as early as 1859. However, it was not until 1920 that a Baptist church was built, where services were held for both the Baptist and Methodist congregations. In the 1940s the Rio Frio Baptist congregation merged with the Leakey Baptist Church, and the Methodist residents transferred their memberships to other area churches. The building at Rio Frio was then converted into a mission serving the Mexican and Mexican-American tenant farmers and migrant ranch workers whose labor has sustained the local economy, commencing with the construction of the Lombardy Irrigation Canal. The town's estimated population, which has never exceeded seventy-five, was listed as fifty in 1985 through 2000."
PRIOR CITY NAMES:
AVAILABLE SERVICES: Gas: no; Convenience Stores: no; Restaurants: no; Lodging: no; Grocery Stores: no; Banks: no; Vehicle Repair: no; Hospital: no; Med Clinic: no; Post Office: no; Public Schools: no; Cemetery:
OTHER PROFILES: City Data (not available); Texas Escapes; Wikipedia
We welcome inquiries, comments and submission of updates, additions, corrections & digital photos,
without compensation. Send to Editor at:
Back To >> TOP OF PAGE & MAIN INDEX
BUSINESS & ORGANIZATION DIRECTORY
NEW BEGINNINGS IN CHRIST: 830-232-5221; 5947 RR-1120, Rio Frio, TX 78879
(THE) RIO FRIO CHURCH: 830-486-5065; RR-1120, Rio Frio, TX 78879. Facebook Plans are underway to restore and refurbish this hundred year old structure. It will be a historic setting for weddings, funerals, and other civic events.
(Police, Fire, EMS/Medical)
LOCAL CITY GOVERNMENT: Unincorporated
LOCAL COUNTY GOVERNMENT: See: Real County Government Offices
STATE & FEDERAL GOVERNMENT: For offices that represent the Hill Country,
see: Texas & Federal Government Offices
US POSTAL SERVICE (USPS): 800-275-8777; usps.com
Local post office: 830-232-5262; 5615 RR-1120, Rio Frio, TX 78879-9998
CRISIS HOTLINES: click Hotlines-Emergencies
DAY & SEASON HUNTING OPPORTUNITIES:
See full list of leases for this town at: Hunting & Fishing.
COLD SPRINGS: 830-232-6699; 1101 Cold Springs, Rio Frio, TX 78879
FRIO BLUFF CABINS: 830-232-4073; 6550 US-83 & RR-1120 S, Rio Frio, TX 78879. friobluffcabins.com
FRIO FALLS RETREAT CABINS & RV PARK: 830-232-6362; RR-1120, Rio Frio, TX 78879
RIO BELLA RESORT: 830-232-4781; 3088 RR-1120, Rio Frio, TX 78879. riobella.com
RIO FRIO BED N BREAKFAST: 830-966-2320; FM-1050, Rio Frio, TX 78879
RIO FRIO LODGING: 830-966-2320; FM-1050, Rio Frio, TX 78879. 5 mi E of US-83
RIVER BLUFF CABINS: 830-232-5775; 389 Cooper Mountain Rd, Rio Frio, TX 78879. riverbluffcabins.com
RIVER HAVEN: 866-232-5400; Rio Frio, TX 78879. Frio River
TREEHOUSE BED & BIRD: 830-232-6666; 355 Uvalde CR 351-A, Rio Frio, TX 78879. treehousebedandbird.com
Note: Check RV Parks below for availability of cabins, guest houses and other accommodations.
AUTOCAD DESIGN AND DRAFTING SERVICE: 979-421-0333; 190 RR-2748, Rio Frio, TX 78879. Rod Nodine, Designer
HILL COUNTRY ADVENTURES: 830-966-2320; Rio Frio, TX 78879. Office Located on FM-1050, 10 mi W of Utopia, TX or 5 mi Et of US-83 & Garner State Park. hillcountryadventures.com
HILL COUNTRY NATURE CENTER: 830-966-2320; Rio Frio, TX 78879. hillcountrynaturequest.com. Nature tours & adventures. Office Located on FM-1050, 10 miles W of Utopia, TX or 5 miles E of US-83 & Garner State Park. Free wi-fi
(THE) LEAKEY STAR NEWSPAPER: 830-232-7827, POB 116, Rio Frio, TX 78879. theleakeystaronline.com. Published bi-weekly, online all the time
FRIO FALLS RETREAT CABINS & RV PARK: 830-232-6362; RR-1120, Rio Frio, TX 78879
NANA'S RV PARK: 830-232-4653; CR 350, Rio Frio, TX 78879. nanasrvparkonthefrio.com
PARKVIEW RIVERSIDE RV PARK: 877-374-6748; 830-232-4006; 2561 CR-350, Rio Frio, TX 78879. parkviewriversiderv.com. Lodging
HILL COUNTRY-WIDE UTILITY PROVIDERS:
For Hill Country area utility service providers (electric, gas, water, sewer, trash),
telecom providers (land lines, cellular service, TV, internet), and related services (package delivery, newspaper, etc.), click: Utilities & Telecom
SANDY ROAD GUEST HAUS:
Upscale Western-style Guest House Lodging
in a Beautiful Ranch Setting in the Gorgeous Texas Hill Country
Reservations & Information: 281-300-7177
9242 RR 1320 (Sandy Road), Johnson City, TX 78636
Web: SandyRoadGuestHaus.com Email: info@SandyRoadGuestHaus.com
Come Relax & Enjoy!